Throughout the Calgary Board of Education, students have the ability to utilize our network. This means that students are able to bring in their own personal devices responsible for (laptops, smart phones, tablets, etc.) to connect to the Internet for their school work through our wireless network. With this ability comes a higher level of responsibility and understanding on the part of the student.
Our students’ safety in an online environment is very important to us and learning how to be a good Digital Citizen will increase your child’s awareness and understanding of the Internet, teach them how to be safe online and enhance their learning opportunities. The use of the network, in addition to the computer labs in our school, will be to assist our students’ abilities to:
- Access, critically assess and communicate information and understanding
- Seek alternative viewpoints
- Collaborate during inquiry
- Personalize their learning and understanding
- Construct personal knowledge and meaning
- Organize and manipulate data
- Interact with other learners
In accordance with CBE Administrative Policy 1062: (The following activities are prohibited and will be addressed on an individual basis as needed)
- Use of someone else’s CBE account on the computers or access to the network
- Sharing of usernames and passwords for other people to use
- Viewing websites through a proxy server
- Sending, posting, displaying or using obscene language/messages or pictures or information about oneself or others
- Harassing, insulting or attacking another person or their reputation
- Plagiarism of online content
- Texting or gaming
- Tampering with any computer accessories, hardware or software
- Use of technology or accessing sites not approved by staff
- Trespassing in other’s folders, work areas or files
- Utilizing another student’s device without permission
- Use of any electronic device in the gymnasium, the change room or bathroom
- There is no privacy with the use of CBE owned equipment or our network.
- Communications on CBE networks are often public in nature. General school rules for behavior and communications apply.
- Passwords and accounts are to remain confidential. Any damage done is the responsibility of the student whose account is active at the time.
- Student folders (H drives) will be scanned periodically for inappropriate files. This includes executable files.
The following sites are prohibited from use while using our network and the school computers:
- Social networking sites
- Vulgar or lewd depictions of the human body
- Any adult content
- Violent acts
- On-line gambling
- Sites that encourage the use of illicit or illegal substances
- Sites that advocate hatred or violence against an identifiable group
Our expectation is that our students will become educated and responsible Digital Citizens. If, however students breach any of the expectations, each situation will be dealt with on an individual basis and may result in:
- Restriction or loss of technology privileges
- Restriction of use of or confiscation of personal device
- School based disciplinary consequences (including suspension of technology access within the school etc.) and/ or
- Police intervention and/or legal action
Lastly, it is important that parents/guardians and students remember the following:
- The school is not responsible for the loss, damage, or theft of student owned electronic devices.
- The school is not able to provide technical support for student devices.
- Devices can only be utilized when students are under the direct supervision of a teacher in an approved area of the school.
- Devices can only be utilized for educational purposes.
- The school will not be responsible for any inappropriate use of a student’s personal device.
- Misuse will be determined by the staff and administration.
- Within the school’s computer labs; students are required to sit in their assigned seats, immediately check for damage, and report any damage to the teacher in charge. We view Digital Citizenship as a shared responsibility between students, their families and the school. We appreciate families taking time to discuss this with their children and supporting the work of the school in moving it forward.
Student Cell Phone Use
Henry Wise Wood recognizes the changing educational realities of our learners. In response to concerns expressed by students, staff and parents about the policy on the usage of electronic devices such as laptops, phones, and tablets that can access a wireless network, the following expectations apply:
- During class time, the use of these devices for educational use is strictly up to the discretion of the teacher.
- Outside of class time, the responsible use of these devices is permitted.
- For the protection of all individuals’ privacy, the use of these aforementioned devices is not permitted in locker/change rooms or washrooms.
- Quizzes, tests, exams, and Diploma Exams all have their own rules and expectations about the use of such electronic devices. Students are expected to familiarize themselves with these policies.