The Program of Studies in English Language Arts is designed to foster the development of skills over three years of high school English.
The outcomes of the Program of Studies states that students will listen, speak, read, write, view and represent to:
- explore thoughts, ideas, feelings, and experiences; comprehend and respond personally, critically and creatively to literature and to other texts in oral, print, visual and multimedia forms; manage ideas and information;
- create oral, print, visual and multimedia texts to enhance the clarity and artistry of communication; and
- to respect, support and collaborate with others.
Our department is very focused on supporting students to make proactive choices in their course selection that will promote growth and success. Students often begin in the -2 stream and gradually, as their skills and goals evolve, move into the -1 stream. It is important as courses begin that students and parents are aware of the initial assessments done to support students to make the decisions that will lead to success and build confidence.
We are proud of the results our students achieve on the Diploma. It is an exam that is truly assessing your learning in English Language Arts after 12 years of education. That success begins in the choices you make with the course available.
ELA Course Sequence
ELA 30-2 Condensed (5 credits)
- To promote the success for every student and to offer flexible programming, Henry Wise Wood ELA department is offering a condensed version of English 30-2 during the first semester as well as the continued option of a full semester course in the second semester.
- Students experience a focus, concentrated and continuous learning experience which requires a strong work ethic and commitment to the program.
Allison Pinnow - Learning Leader
|Janet Aves||Lindsey Hogan|
|Maham Baig||Michelle Woeckener|
|Ryan Cancilla||Katherine Martin|
|Jeff Fuerstenberg||Rhonda Mawer|