GRADUATION CLOSING CEREMONIES
Friday, May 26, 2023
The culmination of twelve years of education is a special time in the life of students, parents and staff.
GRADUATION CLOSING CEREMONIES – FRIDAY, MAY 26, 2023 – 9:30 A.M. - 12:00 P.M.
The ceremony will be held at the Grey Eagle Event Centre.
GRADUATION BANQUET – FRIDAY, MAY 26, 2023 – 6:00 P.M. - 11:00 P.M.
The banquet will be held at the Grey Eagle Event Centre.
- Cost is TBD per person (all school fees must be paid in order to purchase tickets)
- Ticket sales - because of unknown numbers, we will be selling tickets in rounds. Round 2 will commence according to availability in seats after round 1, and will be held in a lottery format. Round three will operate in the same format as round two.
- Round 1: TBD Each Grad can order up to three tickets in the first round- the grad must purchase a ticket for themselves and up to 2 guests.
- Any grads that requested more than 3 tickets will be granted those extra tickets. (Round 2 & 3 is unnecessary since no lottery was required.) These ticket orders will be entered into PowerSchool and must be paid promptly. Exact dates TBD
Please recognize the safety of graduates, their families and staff will be a priority with planned celebrations.
GRAD REHEARSAL WEDNESDAY, MAY 17, 2023 - PERIOD 4 - 2:15 P.M. – 3:30 P.M.
Rehearsal will be held in the King Gym to review procedures and rehearse the entrance and exit process at Grey Eagle Event Centre
- All Grade 12 students must attend the rehearsal
- Grad gowns, stoles and caps will be distributed at the end of the rehearsal
Pay graduation ceremony fees online through PowerSchool or in person at the Business Office - $63
This fee includes:
- Keepsake grad gown/stole/cap/tassel
- Program, certificate, room rental
- Attendance for graduand and family (no tickets required)
Graduation Committee Application
DUE to Ms. Jones (room 206) by Thursday, Oct. 27, 2022 at 3:30pm
Program Cover Contest
The Grad 2023 Committee is looking for a Grade 12 Henry Wise Wood student to design the artwork for this year’s Graduation. The successful submission will be awarded $100.00 and the designer’s name will be printed on the display. The submission must reflect the graduation theme.
Please see this link for more information - Artwork Contest 2023
The Graduating Class Valedictorian(s) are selected by a panel of judges (teachers, students and Administration) that are reflective of the audience at the Graduation Ceremony.
- Forms available in the main office Wednesday, February 15, 2023.
- There is a meeting for all interested applicants on Wednesday, February 22, 2023 at lunch in room 102.
- Applications are due on Wednesday March 1, 2023. Late entries will not be considered.
- Auditions will occur after school on Wednesday March 8, 2023 in room 102.
Applications for banquet speakers will be available in the main office and outside Room 206 on TBD. The following positions will be available for audition
- Masters of Ceremonies
- Class Historian
- Toast to the Teachers
- Giving Thanks
Applications are TBD to Ms. Jones via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Auditions will occur week of TBD at lunch in Room 206.
To be eligible to take part in the graduation ceremonies and the banquet and dance, grade 12 students must be registered in a program of courses that will enable them to complete the minimum requirements for an Alberta High School Diploma by the end of June 2023. Students who do not have the possibility of completing these courses, or who leave school during the year without completing the requirements, will not be eligible to participate in the graduation activities.
The Graduation List
A graduation list will be posted outside the Guidance Office in March 2023. Students are asked to check for errors or omissions and report them to their Guidance Counsellor. Students should not assume they meet the requirements to participate in the graduation activities simply because they are registered in grade 12. The completed list will be the basis for the ticket distribution, program information and the grad composite.
To be eligible for participation in the Graduation Ceremonies, Grade 12 students must:
- Be registered in a program of courses that will enable them to obtain a minimum of 100 credits by the end of June 2023 and/or complete their program of studies. Eligible students will meet the Alberta Education Diploma requirements by June 2023 or demonstrate that they have an immediate plan for attainment of their Diploma. Students in ELL, ACCESS, and PLP are expected to have completed their 3-year program and/or have a teacher recommendation.
- Be a positive, contributing member of the Henry Wise Wood student body. Disciplinary issues or negative conduct may disqualify students from participating in the Closing Ceremonies and/or Graduation Banquet.
- Have paid all school fees and returned all outstanding textbooks and library books.
- Attend the graduation rehearsal held the Friday prior to the Graduation Ceremony.
- Confirm their name is on the grad list posted outside the main office during the month of March 2023.
Grade 12 students, who are not enrolled in classes second semester due to early completion, personal issues or extenuating circumstances, must:
- Get special permission from the principal to attend the ceremony. These students must also attend the rehearsal.
- Keep in contact with the Main Office or their Guidance Counsellor to be informed of dates and times for rehearsals and ceremonies.
- Participation in the ceremonies is not an indication that the student will actually receive the Alberta Diploma. Official Diplomas are issued by Alberta Education upon completion of the Alberta requirements for a High School Diploma.
Organizer Contact Information:
Please be advised details about the Graduation Ceremony and Banquet will be released as they become available.
Please direct preliminary questions to Mr. Barile (email@example.com)
Should the traditional elements of graduation proceed feel free to contact:
Jennifer Jones (Jrjones@cbe.ab.ca) or
Cheryl Belliveau (Clbelliveau@cbe.ab.ca)