Grade 12 Closing Exercises on May 28
9am – 12 pm
It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
The culmination of twelve years of education is a special time in the life of students, parents and staff. We recognize this is an important passage and an occasion to be marked with formal ceremonies in the morning, followed by a gala banquet and dance in the evening. Please recognize the safety of graduates, their families and staff will be a priority with planned celebrations. In the Spring, we hope to be able to share more specific details.
UPDATE | May 5
RE: Grade 12 Closing Exercises May 28, 2021
We continue to have many inquiries about our grade 12 Closing Exercises. While it is difficult to communicate a firm plan in uncertain times such as these, we hope to be able to celebrate this year’s graduating class in the following way:
- The event will be held indoors.
- It is a closed event for students and staff only. It will be a live streamed online event, in which parents, family and friends can watch from the comfort of their home. Current health and safety regulations do not allow for an in-person audience, inside or outside of the school.
- Students are required to be at the school by 9:00 am. Students will receive their grad gowns, stole and cap on this morning and can keep these items for commemorative pictures. Once in the school they will be placed into a classroom with approx. 8-10 students (students pre-selected their small cohort), until it is their time to be escorted to the main gym to cross the stage and receive their celebration keepsake. Students will be able to watch the live streamed event in their classrooms while they are waiting to cross the stage. In the next few weeks, students will receive information about which classrooms that will be going to on May 28
- LifeTouch will be onsite to take individual student photos.
- Links to both the grade 12 graduation video and a recording of the live stream will be posted on our website later that afternoon, on May 28.
$40.00 graduation fee.
Many thanks to the families that have already paid their student’s graduation fee. It is very important that school fees, including the grad fee are paid before May 15, 2021 to ensure that students receive their grad items (gown, stole, hat, and three grade 12 memory gifts). We understand that this can be a difficult time for families, but unfortunately this is not a cost that the school can absorb. We appreciate your understanding. Outstanding fees can be paid through the PowerSchool parent portal link.
Should there be any changes to the above plans due to further restrictions suggested by Alberta Health Services, Alberta Education, or our school board, we will be sure to notify parents and students in a timely manner.
Thank you for your patience and understanding while we try to do our best to honour and celebrate the final year of your child’s public education experience.
Program Cover Contest
Contest Rules & Application - Deadline: Feb. 22, 2021 by 3:30pm
- February 9 at 4:15pm interested students will attend Google Meet (see Ms. Jones for the code)
- information/question session for potential valedictorian applicants.
- February 16 submit the following
- Transcript verifying the 80% average
- Introduction question responses
- Valedictorian speech in written format.
- February 23 the finalists will be informed of the next step to create a video of their speech.
- March 2 the finalists submit a video recorded speech
- March 5 the valedictorian will be “announced”
Applications are due to Ms. Jones (room 206) by Wednesday, March 10, 2021
Auditions will occur week of March 15-19 at lunch in Room 206.
To be eligible to take part in the graduation ceremonies and the banquet and dance, grade 12 students must be registered in a program of courses that will enable them to complete the minimum requirements for an Alberta High School Diploma by the end of June 2021. Students who do not have the possibility of completing these courses, or who leave school during the year without completing the requirements, will not be eligible to participate in the graduation activities.
The Graduation List
A graduation list will be posted outside the Guidance Office in March 2021. Students are asked to check for errors or omissions and report them to their Guidance Counsellor. Students should not assume they meet the requirements to participate in the graduation activities simply because they are registered in grade 12. The completed list will be the basis for the ticket distribution, program information and the grad composite.
To be eligible for participation in the Graduation Ceremonies, Grade 12 students must:
- Be registered in a program of courses that will enable them to obtain a minimum of 100 credits by the end of June 2021 and/or complete their program of studies. Eligible students will meet the Alberta Education Diploma requirements by June 2021 or demonstrate that they have an immediate plan for attainment of their Diploma. Students in ELL, ACCESS, and PLP are expected to have completed their 3-year program and/or have a teacher recommendation.
- Be a positive, contributing member of the Henry Wise Wood student body. Disciplinary issues or negative conduct may disqualify students from participating in the Closing Ceremonies and/or Graduation Banquet.
- Have paid all school fees and returned all outstanding textbooks and library books.
- Attend the graduation rehearsal held the Friday prior to the Graduation Ceremony.
- Confirm their name is on the grad list posted outside the main office during the month of March 2021.
Grade 12 students, who are not enrolled in classes second semester due to early completion, personal issues or extenuating circumstances, must:
- Get special permission from the principal to attend the ceremony. These students must also attend the rehearsal.
- Keep in contact with the Main Office or their Guidance Counsellor to be informed of dates and times for rehearsals and ceremonies.
- Participation in the ceremonies is not an indication that the student will actually receive the Alberta Diploma. Official Diplomas are issued by Alberta Education upon completion of the Alberta requirements for a High School Diploma.
Organizer Contact Information:
Please be advised details about the Graduation Ceremony and Banquet will be released as they become available. Due to COVID-19, we are unable to finalize details at this time. Your understanding is needed, valued and appreciated.
Please direct preliminary questions to Mr. Barile (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Should the traditional elements of graduation proceed feel free to contact:
Jennifer Jones (Jrjones@cbe.ab.ca) or
Cheryl Belliveau (Clbelliveau@cbe.ab.ca)