Friday May 28, 2021
It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
The culmination of twelve years of education is a special time in the life of students, parents and staff. We recognize this is an important passage and an occasion to be marked with formal ceremonies in the morning, followed by a gala banquet and dance in the evening. Please recognize the safety of graduates, their families and staff will be a priority with planned celebrations. In the Spring, we hope to be able to share more specific details.
Program Cover Contest
Contest Rules & Application - Deadline: Feb. 22, 2021 by 3:30pm
- February 9 at 4:15pm interested students will attend Google Meet (see Ms. Jones for the code)
- information/question session for potential valedictorian applicants.
- February 16 submit the following
- Transcript verifying the 80% average
- Introduction question responses
- Valedictorian speech in written format.
- February 23 the finalists will be informed of the next step to create a video of their speech.
- March 2 the finalists submit a video recorded speech
- March 5 the valedictorian will be “announced”
Applications are due to Ms. Jones (room 206) by Wednesday, March 10, 2021
Auditions will occur week of March 15-19 at lunch in Room 206.
To be eligible to take part in the graduation ceremonies and the banquet and dance, grade 12 students must be registered in a program of courses that will enable them to complete the minimum requirements for an Alberta High School Diploma by the end of June 2021. Students who do not have the possibility of completing these courses, or who leave school during the year without completing the requirements, will not be eligible to participate in the graduation activities.
The Graduation List
A graduation list will be posted outside the Guidance Office in March 2021. Students are asked to check for errors or omissions and report them to their Guidance Counsellor. Students should not assume they meet the requirements to participate in the graduation activities simply because they are registered in grade 12. The completed list will be the basis for the ticket distribution, program information and the grad composite.
To be eligible for participation in the Graduation Ceremonies, Grade 12 students must:
- Be registered in a program of courses that will enable them to obtain a minimum of 100 credits by the end of June 2021 and/or complete their program of studies. Eligible students will meet the Alberta Education Diploma requirements by June 2021 or demonstrate that they have an immediate plan for attainment of their Diploma. Students in ELL, ACCESS, and PLP are expected to have completed their 3-year program and/or have a teacher recommendation.
- Be a positive, contributing member of the Henry Wise Wood student body. Disciplinary issues or negative conduct may disqualify students from participating in the Closing Ceremonies and/or Graduation Banquet.
- Have paid all school fees and returned all outstanding textbooks and library books.
- Attend the graduation rehearsal held the Friday prior to the Graduation Ceremony.
- Confirm their name is on the grad list posted outside the main office during the month of March 2021.
Grade 12 students, who are not enrolled in classes second semester due to early completion, personal issues or extenuating circumstances, must:
- Get special permission from the principal to attend the ceremony. These students must also attend the rehearsal.
- Keep in contact with the Main Office or their Guidance Counsellor to be informed of dates and times for rehearsals and ceremonies.
- Participation in the ceremonies is not an indication that the student will actually receive the Alberta Diploma. Official Diplomas are issued by Alberta Education upon completion of the Alberta requirements for a High School Diploma.
Organizer Contact Information:
Please be advised details about the Graduation Ceremony and Banquet will be released as they become available. Due to COVID-19, we are unable to finalize details at this time. Your understanding is needed, valued and appreciated.
Please direct preliminary questions to Mr. Barile (email@example.com)
Should the traditional elements of graduation proceed feel free to contact:
Jennifer Jones (Jrjones@cbe.ab.ca) or
Cheryl Belliveau (Clbelliveau@cbe.ab.ca)