Hillhurst School at a Glance
- We have two streams in the school: a kindergarten to grade 6 community program and Grades 4 to 6 gifted and talented specialized classes (GATE). There are no significant boundaries evident between programs as we consider ourselves one united team of leaders and learners.
- The GATE specialized classes draws students from all of North Calgary through a vigorous application process that begins with the child's School Learning Team (SLT): classroom teacher/resource teacher, administration, and parents. The community program has enrolment restricted to our boundaries (generally the community of Hillhurst)
- Through collaborative community efforts, we provide enriched learning experiences that foster academic excellence and develop active, responsible, compassionate citizens.
- We pride ourselves on having a strong, supportive community of students, parents and teachers who work together for the safety and security of our students.
- We have a very active and supportive School Council.
- Our students, parents and staff undertake many charitable works.
- Student Leadership opportunities
- Music and Daily Phys-ed programs for grades K-6
- NEW! 2023-2024 - Before/After School located in the building.
School History & Background
Hillhurst Community School is a gracious sandstone building built in 1912 beside beautiful Riley Park just blocks from the Bow River. The building has been lovingly maintained and sunlight floods in through 20-foot high windows. The friendly and inclusive environment at the school makes it easy for new families and children alike to get involved and adjust to the community.
The surrounding communities of Hillhurst, West Hillhurst, Briar Hill and Sunnyside are among the oldest in Calgary and have been rejuvenated in the last twenty years with increasingly upscale homes along tree-lined streets. Those who live here can walk downtown to work and bike the river pathways for fun and exercise.
The shopping area of Kensington, a five-minute walk from the school is voted the favourite area in Calgary because of the many cafes, restaurants and interesting shops. Within 10 minutes are the University of Calgary, the Foothills Hospital, the new Children’s Hospital, the Jubilee Auditorium, the Alberta College of Art, Southern Institute of Technology, a convenient mall and Home Depot, two community centres, ice arenas and tennis courts.