A severe allergic reaction is also know as anaphylaxis. Although anaphylaxis is somewhat rare, it can be life threatening. Anaphylaxis occurs as an overreaction of the immune system. The body releases a flood of chemicals such as histamine when exposed to an allergen to foods such as peanuts, insect venom or medicine. This type of reaction can lead to severe symptoms including difficulty breathing, low blood pressure and shock. An anaphylactic reaction starts quickly and can turn deadly within minutes.
As a community, we can keep allergic students safe at school by taking a few precautions:
- As a staff, we ensure your child does not receive “treats” brought by parents to your child.
- As parents, please refrain from bringing in treats to distribute for special occasions such as birthdays or holidays.
Injuries at School
Should your child be injured at school the following procedures will be followed:
- A school staff member will take action to ensure the safety of the student and administer minor first aid.
- The parent or guardian will be telephoned and appraised of the situation and asked, if necessary, to come to school, and advise us of their wishes regarding their child’s injury.
- If we are unable to contact the parent/guardian or emergency contact person, an administrator will decide if emergency treatment is necessary.
If emergency treatment appears to be necessary, the child will be transported to a Hospital, at the parents’/guardians’ expense. Parents/guardians will be contacted as soon as possible.
Illness & Contagious Diseases
When children are ill it is in their best interest, and that of their fellow students, to remain at home where they are able to rest until they are fully recovered.
For the protection of all others in the school we are obligated to adhere strictly to the isolation time periods listed below. Students who are sent back to school prior to the full term of the isolation period will be returned home.
Measles - 4 days after appearance of rash
Chickenpox - 5 days after the appearance of the first crop of blisters
Mumps - 9 days after swelling appears
Pink Eye - until treated and no signs of infectious state is present
Head Lice - until treated with recommended anti lice shampoo
If students become ill at school they can rest in the nurse’s room for a brief time until it is determined that they can return to class. If the illness is of a more serious nature, parents will be notified to pick up their child. Parents will always be contacted if the illness or injury is deemed serious.
The school should be made aware of any medical problems so that we are best able to assist a student in the event of an emergency. Please keep us up to date with your emergency phone contact numbers.
Medication | Forms & Administering to Students
Medical information is completed at the beginning of each school year.
Parents are responsible for informing the school of a student's health needs or health concerns which could affect the student's behaviour, learning or the welfare of other students and/or staff.
Please be aware that school personnel are not authorized to dispense non-prescription medication to students and any prescription medication must be accompanied by a signed medical form, available at the office. All student medications must be picked up from the school on the last student day.
If your student has a health concern please inform the office/principal, or appropriate staff member when a health concern is diagnosed. It is important that we are informed of any health concerns:
- At the beginning of each school year
- When a health concern changes, and
- When a student changes schools
We will work with you to complete the Student Health Plan and the Student Health Emergency Response Protocol Form as required.
For more information please review our Administrative Regulation 6002 - Student Health Services.