Everyone is welcome to attend the monthly Hillhurst School Council meetings. Both the Council and Society meetings are held at the same time. Usually our principal and assistance principal will discuss school progress. Volunteers involved in School Council and Society activities will give updates on special events or initiatives underway. This is a great time to bring forward questions or ideas and hear about what is going on at the school face-to-face. Meetings are generally held the second Wednesday of the month, from 6:30pm - 8:00pm. Babysitting is provided by Division 2 students.
See our Calendar page for exact dates.
Our mission is to foster the well-being and effectiveness of our school community and thereby enhance student learning. Council works to facilitate communication among all of the concerned participants of our school community so we may function together, as partners, to create an effective learning environment that enables our students to achieve their potential. Members of our School Community and our School Council will be guided by established bylaws and policies when making decisions, or providing advice, with respect to our school.
Objectives of the School Council
- Promote fellowship and collaboration in the School Community so that all participants/members work together for the well-being and effectiveness of the school as a community
- Develop interest in, and understanding of, school activities and to promote involvement in the school among parents and families
- Provide a forum for questions and concerns, and to inform families about the school
- Provide volunteer help to assist in the organization and implementation of programs
- Coordinate the school's fund-raising activities and operate such fund-raising activities as independent organizations or subcommittees of our school council
- Give the school important extras that might otherwise be unavailable, given the school‚s budgetary constraints, and thereby enhance student learning
The membership of the Council is open to all community members who have a stake in the education of children in Hillhurst Community School.
Our School Council Executive Members
Chair: Ellen Parker
Vice Chair: Shannon MacLeod
Treasurer: Leslie Street
Secretary: Lindsey Van Ginkel
Key Communications: Trisha Woodlock
Fundraising: Jennifer Wickson
GATE Rep: Janice Dekkers
Special Needs Advocate: Laura Aucoin
Learning Hub Rep: Priyanka Choudhary
Contact the School Council
There are many opportunities to engage with School Council, whether it be attending meetings, taking on a coordinator role for one of our many ongoing initiatives, or joining the Board in a formal Executive position. Please see our Volunteer Booklet for a description of volunteer roles and how to get involved.