External Resource Links for Instructional Planning
Nitsitapiisinni Stories and Spaces: weaves threads of connection between children, elders, plants, landscapes and the stories that bind them together which provide an opportunity to explore our own connection to the land and one another.
ReadWriteThink (K-12): Lessons, interactives, and activities.
Choice Boards: Provide students with a choice of "how" to learn a particular subject or concept. Some examples include: Angela Stockman's Four Story Challenges, Catlin Tucker's Offline Choice Boards and Pernille Ripp's Choose Your Own Adventure.
Poetry in Voice (6-12): A Canadian site inspiring students to read, recite, and write poetry in both English and French. Try some of their workshops such as I Woke Up Today or Dive in Deeper (a set of guided questions and videos that allow for deep investigation and suggested writing activities).
Comprehensive Literacy Guides (K-6): These 11 Alberta-based learning guides provide understanding and planning related to areas such as Small Group Reading, Phonological Awareness, Word Work and more.
Two Writing Teachers: A blog with contributions from eight writing teachers, chock full of high impact writing lessons such as: Getting to Know Your Writers, Authentic Purposes for Writing, Feedback that Moves Writers.
Once Upon a Picture: Image prompts that can be used to teach reading skills and prompt creative writing. Try The Jar Wizard or Diamond in the Rough.
The Literacy Shed: A collection of videos and pictures to prompt telling or writing of stories.
Thinking Strategies Placemat (5-12): Amazing list of disciplinary literacy strategies compliled by Alberta literacy experts designed to have students process, think and learn.
Jarrett Lerner: Author/illustrator posts a series of fillable and printable comic book templates and drawing/writing prompts such as Finish This Comic or Create Your Own Restaurant.
- Available for all teachers and students in Alberta
- Username & Password available from your facilitator or classroom teacher
- Resource Search, Online Reference Centre, T4T Courses, Authorized Resources
- Resource Search: 6547 different resources from K-12
- Kindergarten (476) / Grade 1 (530) / Grade 2 (564) / Grade 3 (612)
- Grade 4 (1266) / Grade 5 (1243) /Grade 6 (863)
- Grade 7 (1155) / Grade 8 (1279) / Grade 9 (1395)
- Grade 10 (1363) / Grade 11 (1455) / Grade 12 (1731)
- Online Reference Centre: Alberta-approved references and databases for student research
- T4T Courses : full online course content avalable for many courses K-12
- Authorized Resources : list of Alberta-approved resources for rent or purchase
- eLibrary is an online catalogue for all CBE school libraries (learning commons) with detailed information on books, DVDs and other resources that are available to borrow and online resources offered by Calgary Public Library and others. eLibrary is an online tool available to parents, students and staff.
- Staff and Students can log in have additional functionality if they log in to save lists, see what they have borrowed, and view any overdue materials.