This time of the year is typically when most staffing decisions and changes begin to take place within the Calgary Board of Education. Each year great efforts are made to complete staffing by the end of June; however this is not always possible. There are several rounds of postings that our Human Resources department goes through: The first one involves teacher's returning from leaves or who were declared surplus from their current assignments and are placed into identified vacant positions. Round two includes the remaining open positions which are then opened up for current continuous teachers for about two weeks. By late June, any remaining teachers, including those on temporary contracts, are able to apply for still unfilled vacancies. This process is open to all teachers and means that we are not always able to get a staff list out to our community before the end of June.
We are in the process of creating class configurations for next year. A great deal of time, effort and consideration is put into assignment of students to classes and we hope to tentatively complete our configurations and class lists shortly. These class configurations will be finalized during the first week of September when we know for sure who has moved away and who has moved into our attendance area during the summer. We will be adjusting our class configurations to fit these new students during the first week students are back in September.
Teachers who have been with your child this year meet with specialists and administration to discuss which students fit most appropriately in each classroom next year in order to provide the best learning environments. The most important factors in making these decisions all relate to creating an optimal learning community. These factors include:
- Creation of educationally equal learning environments
- Maintaining a balance of academic needs in each class
- Creating a balance of academic and social leadership in each class
- Attempting gender balance
- Providing flexibility to accommodate changes in student numbers
- Consideration of work habits, friendships, personality traits
Through this collaborative process we provide each student with a classroom placement that will be equitable and supportive for the upcoming year. If you feel that there are additional pieces of information that our teams need to know about your child in order to create these class groupings, please send a note to the office. As we do not know at this time who all our classroom teachers will be for next year, or which grade each will be teaching, please do not request a particular teacher by name. The information that is most helpful for us to have should be related to the above factors. Your child's grade placement for next year will be indicated in the June report card.
Hi all. There are a couple of reminders for you as we move into March.
1. Information will be coming home regarding Parent Teacher Conferences. They will run on from 4:00 to 8:00 the evening of March 10 and the morning of March 11 from 8:00 am to 12:00 noon. Conferences can be booked online in your PowerSchool account starting March 4 at 4:00 pm.
2. Our Grade 4, 5, and 6 students are completing the Alberta Assurance Survey from Alberta Education. Parents from these grades will be receiving a survey in the mail as well. We would greatly appreciate your participation in this survey as it helps us plan for next year with your input in mind.
3. Please note that March 10 is a regular school day with conferences happening after school is finished for the day. March 11 is a non-student day.
4. Mrs. Schoen is hosting a Scholastic Book Fair the week of Parent Teacher Conferences. Students will have the opportunity to look over the books and write down titles that they are interested in. They will be bringing the list of titles home for you to approve for purchase. There will also be Huntington Hills T shirts available for purchase at the book fair. We will have shirts here to use for sizing and can help ensure the correct size is ordered.
Welcome back from winter break!
We have started the new year with some challenges as we continue to adjust and respond to the various situations Covid throws our way. I want to thank all our staff and their flexibility in ensuring that in person learning continues. We thank our families for working with us as you navigate difficult situations as well.
At this point we have postponed the school wide field trip to Nose Hill Park's Sun Wheel and have pushed it until later into the spring.
Our staff are working on getting report cards ready for you to view online the first week of February. Report Cards will be enabled for you to view in your PowerSchool account starting the week of January 31st. If you are having difficulty setting up your account, please call the school office and we can set up an appointment to walk you through the process on a computer here at school.
Please remember that your childs updated assignment marks are always available on PowerSchool and can help inform you of their academic progress at any time.
Have a safe and warm January!
Welcome to the short school month of December! Students listened to Mrs. Kennedy read "The Wishing Tree" and have taken up the challenge of posting their own wishes to our tree in the loft. The challenge for students was to create a wish that was more focussed on community than self, and they have done a very good job!
We have a full school field trip planned for the last week before the Winter Break. Forms should have already come home for you to consent for your child to go up to the SunWheel on Nose Hills Park. Our goal is for students to understand what makes this place a culturally significant site for our Indigenous families. We are hoping to gather some student observations while at the site that we can use for the creation of a Huntington Hills specific Land Acknowledgement.
On behalf of Huntington Hills' staff we wish all a wonderfull break and some relaxing time spent with friends and family. We are ready to welcome our students back on Tuesday, January 4, 2022!
Hi to all. There are quite a few things coming up as we move into November.
Huntington Hills School will be finalizing this year's School Development Plan and Posting it to our school's website. There will be opportunities to hear about the plan and ask questions about it at an upcoming school council meeting. If you would like to hear more about how we are supporting your child, please join us during these meetings.
A second part of the School Development Plan is the School Improvement Results Report which describes progress on our school development plans from the previous year. This document will also be posted to our school webpage and a notice will come via School Messenger when it is published.
Our Grade 5 class is hosting the Remembrance Day Ceremony this year on November 10. We are unfortunately unable to have families come and join us for this ceremony, but we encourage all interested families to access any of the city wide ceremonies that are planned for November 11. For a listing of these ceremonies, please click this link.
Huntington Hills first Parent Conferences of the year will be held on the evening of November 10 from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm and again on the morning of November 12 from 8:00 am to 12:00 noon. Please note that both November 11 and 12 are non-student days!
The conferences will be online again and there will be information coming home shortly regarding how to book your child's conference appointment. We strongly encourage you to have your child present and involved during these conferences.
We hope you are all enjoying the great start to fall! There are a few dates coming up that are important for you to note as there will be no school for students on these dates:
-September 30 is National Truth and Reconciliation Day
-October 8 is a school professional development day
-October 11 is Thanksgiving Holiday
-October 18 is a CBE wide Indigenous Day of Learning for staff
If you have a child on an IPP, you can expect to see them coming home for signatures starting the week of October 18. If you have specific questions regarding your child's IPP, please reach out to his/her teacher or call and ask the office to set up an appointment.
Teachers will have their first marks posted in PowerSchool for your child. These are available for you to view and will inform you of your child's progress. If you have any questions about the marks, please contact your child's teachers for additional information.
Picture retakes are on October 28 if you wish to have them redone. Our photographer will be sending the initial proofs home for you to view shortly.
The City of Calgary is close to finishing the pathway and stair reconstruction, which will open up access again in the northwest corner of our schoolyard.
As we have done in previous Octobers, please stay tuned for information coming home regarding Pumpkinella! We will be hosting this family competition again on October 29th.
Thank you to everyone who made today's start up smooth and efficient! It was wonderful to see our students back, ready to learn and share summer stories with us.
A few reminders as we head into the routine of school again:
- Please use the student drop off location on Huntercrest Road above our school playground. Our parking lot is restricted to staff and Summit Kids families only.
- The northeast playground entrance is closed for construction and students normally using that entrance will need to use the alley, just north of the pathway entrance, to access the playground.
- Please be looking for a package of information your child will be bringing home the week of Sept. 6th. There will be informational items on white paper that is yours to keep and family information on yellow that needs to be confirmed and corrected before being sent back to school.
- School Messenger: Please ensure that you have signed up for commercial messages through the blue link on the bottom left side of our homepage. Most of our school information is sent digitally and you will miss reminders and important dates if you haven't signed up!
Have a great September!
Last minute information for the end of June:
Hello to all our parents and guardians.
- Your child's report card will be enabled on your PowerSchool Account beginning Saturday, June 26. There will be no paper copies sent home with students so if you have not set up your PowerSchool account, please call the school for assistance. Please tap or click on this link for instructions on how to access your child's report card online.
- If your child is on an IPP, it will be sent home with them on Friday, June 25. If your child is on HUB, the IPP should be in your Canada Post mail by June 25.
- Monday, June 28 is the last day for students. This will be our sports day, so please dress your child for the weather!
- Tuesday, June 29th is Appeals Day. If you have questions about your child's report card, please call the school at 403-777-6650 and we will make an appointment with your child's teacher between 8:00 and 12:00 in the morning.
Have a wonderful summer! Families returning in September should view our Back to School information for details on school startup September 1.
We have changed the date for our April School Council meeting from the 8th to the 15th. This change will allow us to create a draft budget fo the 2021-2022 school year and present it to Council for feedback prior to submitting it for approval to CBE. Please feel welcome to join us online on the 15th at 6:00 pm to hear about our plans for the upcoming school year.
There will also be an opportunity to provide feedback through an online survey in Civil Space. This online tool allows us to gather anonymous feedback from our community for consideration into budget decisions.
A second survey from Alberta Education will be coming to parents of students in grades 4 to 6. This Education Assurance Survey will be given to all our staff and all students in grades 4-6 as well. We strongly encourage all our parents and guardians to complete this survey so that we are making decisions with the best information you can give us.
We wish everyone a relaxing Spring Break and hope to see all our students back on Tuesday, April 6!
Tuesday, February 2, 2021
- Report Cards will be available on your PowerSchool account Wednesday, February 3.
- Booking the February 10th Online Parent Teacher Conferences
Bookings for Parent Teacher Conferences will open February 5th at 12:00 noon. Interviews will be held on February 10 from 8:00 to 12:00 in the morning and 4:00 to 8:00 in the evening.
- The Calgary Board of Education uses your “My CBE Powerschool Account" to create an appointment with your child's teacher. This is the same process you followed in previous years to create an appointment to see your child's teacher. If you are new to the CBE or need help to access your account, please follow the steps outlined below. If you have been contacted by an interpreter, your conference will already have been booked for you for the time your interpreter discussed.
From the Huntington Hills Website cbe.ab.ca/HuntingtonHills scroll down to click on the blue MY CBE POWERSCHOOL ACCOUNT button on the bottom right or go directly to the site at https://sis.cbe.ab.ca/public/ .
Please ensure that you are using the email you provided to the school when logging in to book your conference.
Access the application
Please find instructions by navigating from school's home page to Teaching and Learning> Assessment and Reporting> Parent Teacher Conferences. User guides for parents are found on the right side under “Resources."
This will be an online Conference only!
Please note that this conference will be online only. CBE is using Microsoft Teams to host our conferences. Parents do not have to have MS Teams installed to view the conference. Please save the invitation that is emailed to you and simply click the link a minute or two prior to your appointment.
Huntington Hills School
(Hidden) About this blog
Welcome to SharePoint Blogs. Use this space to provide a brief message about this blog or blog authors. To edit this content, select "Edit Page" from the "Site Actions" menu.