Below is a list of resources that parents and guardians may find helpful:
Supporting Your Child (What can parents do?)
- Talk to your child about the differences they may experience as they transition to their new school.
- Attend the school orientation sessions for incoming students and their families.
- Volunteer at your child’s school, meet teachers, attend school meetings or events and read school newsletters.
- Encourage the use of traditional or electronic agendas for homework and check them for assignments. Successful students have a good foundation at home.
- Set a regular time and place for homework to be done. Give and reinforce clear expectations.
- Visit the school’s website to learn more. Write down any questions you have.
- Make an appointment to visit the school and meet the principal to get a sense of how the school is prepared to support student success. Ask questions.