Our staff of qualified counsellors is available throughout the year to help students in a variety of areas. The primary role of our guidance department is:
- selection of courses
- program planning
- graduation requirements
- awards and scholarships
- achievement in present program
- exploring values, interest, and abilities
- establishing career goals
- exploring job opportunities
- confidential discussion of personal difficulties which may interfere with their education and/or relationships with others
- referrals to appropriate outside agencies
- family liaison
- referral to outside agencies
We encourage students and parents to make use of the counselling services available at Jack James in helping make appropriate plans for the future.
Employability and Life Skills
The skills you need to enter, to stay in, and to progress in the world of work, whether you work on your own or as part of a time. These skills can also be applied and used beyond the workplace in a range of daily activities.
- Be accountable for your decisions and actions.
- Demonstrate pride by respecting yourself and others.
- Dress appropriately and create a positive personal image.
- Be honest.
- Be able to use different methods of communication.
- Do not engage in verbal abuse.
- Listen carefully to better understand.
- Ask questions if you don't understand.
- Be kind and courteous to others.
- Respectfully accept another's point of view.
- Be willing to learn and use specialized vocabulary.
- Strive to improve reading, writing, math, and computer skills.
- Demonstrate basic calculation, measurement and estimation skills.
Working Effectively as...
- Work to potential.
- Stay on task through to completion.
- Contribute and do my share.
- Be respectful and listen to others.
- Resolve conflict in a respectful manner.
- Be respectful of all individuals
- Learn how work and community are interrelated.
- Understand and respect our community's differences.
Success Building/Work Skills
- Attend regularly and on time.
- Model and promote safety practices and procedures.
- Demonstrate respect for tools, equipment, and facilities.
- Be prepared.
- Behaviour Support
- School Psychologist
- School Resource Officer
- School Nurse
- Alex Bus
- Educational Assistant(s) are deployed throughout the building in a variety of classes to assist students with individual learning needs.
- A variety of programs are offered such as healthy relationships and mentorship.