Students will have ongoing assessment in their courses. Although Teachers will use both, Formative (ongoing, showing progress and next steps) and Summative (formalized testing and grading) assessment, the emphasis is on growth and development through regular and ongoing Formative Assessments.
At various points throughout the semesters there will be time allotted to reflect, review, discuss and report on student learning. This may take many forms from projects, assignments to testing of skills, theory and attitudes. Students will receive regular reporting as a class/course progress report around mid semester and a more formal report card at end of each semester.
Parents and guardians are also welcome to check online at MyCBE at any time for achievement and attendance updates.
General Guidelines for End of Semester Summative Assessment/Exam Periods
All students are to write on the designated exam day. Make-up exams will be permitted only with verification of legitimate absence before the scheduled exam start time by parent/guardian with the designated administrator.
All rewrites are approved by administration.
- The student owns the responsibility to know when the exam is being written and must arrive at assigned day and time. Exam days and times will also be posted on the school website.
- Emergencies such as – family disruptions, new medications, medical emergencies, power outages, etc. would be considered valid. These reasons need to be verified and approved by the Assistant Principal.
- All students must have a Student ID Card to write their exam.
- Any items not required for the exam such as hats, coats (outerwear), purses, music devices, cell phones and book bags must be left at the front of the classroom.
- Students must stay for the first hour of the exam.
- There is no extension of the exam if the student is late.
Most students enter Jack James with the expectation that they will enter the work force after graduation. Usually students will seek employment in one of the two senior occupational areas they have studied.
Other opportunities available to our students are:
- College programs (i.e. Bow Valley, Columbia College).
- Technical Institutions (i.e. S.A.I.T., Devry, Marvel, Delmar, Blue Quills, Red Crow).