The purpose of Teacher Advisory is to provide a safe environment where students interact positively with peers and their teacher advisor, who becomes an advocate for them while in turn teaching students to become self-advocates. This is accomplished through the building of relationships, supporting school culture, and improving academic achievement by aiming to improve communication, build citizenship skills, and focus on the well-being of our students.
This work includes:
- supporting school and community initiatives
- tracking students’ academic progress
- educating students on the importance of mental health
- providing students an opportunity to explore future education and career goals
- providing a safe environment
- positive peer and teacher relationships
- communication and working alongside parents
Every student at James Fowler is assigned a Teacher Advisory Group and remains in that group for the duration of their time here. T.A. groups meet every Friday from 10:00-10:35AM. T.A. activities include academic reviews, group activities and challenges, discussions, career development, school activities, and relationship building led by the Teacher Advisor.