For safety reasons, we ask that parents do not drop off and pick up students in our school parking lot. Please obey the sign that is placed at the entrance to the staff parking lot. The CBE has posted a sign which reads: “Loading and unloading of children in the parking lot is prohibited. Additionally, we ask that parents do not walk students through the parking lot when dropping or picking up students from school.
Please Walk a Block
The traffic congestion that can occur before and after school can be both dangerous and frustrating. A new measure was put in place to address this situation. Since doors are open at 7:45 AM, parents are able to take their children to their designated entry door and leave shortly after dropping their children off. Parents can alternatively choose to hug and drop off their children so that their children can proceed to an entry door which allows parents to drive away promptly avoiding parking their car.
In following this practice the positive outcomes are that:
- Cars are parked or stopped for a shorter period of time which creates a flow of traffic without creating
- Busses are able to access the space to unload in a timely manner
- Students have time to get ready to start class without being rushed or anxious about being late
- Parents, staff and students feel safer and have a positive start of the day.
Please remember that young children learn more from the actions of the adults who matter in their lives and observing how they follow or not follow safety rules than any lessons taught in school regarding safety measures.
Parking Around Schools: Photo Enforcement
Calgary Parking Authority is helping to make school areas safer for our students and school communities. Here’s what you should know.
- The Calgary Parking Authority is now using photo enforcement in addition to Enforcement Officers in school
- areas, so tickets may be received in the mail or placed on vehicles that are in violation of parking regulations.
- You must follow posted signage, even if you remain in your vehicle.
Parking responsibly around schools is very important for the safety of the students attending these schools and members of the community.
TIPS: Avoid Parking Fines
- Stay back at least 1.5 metres from entrances to garages or driveways
- Watch for “No stopping” and “No parking zones
- Keep school bus zones clear
- Leave five metres between your car and cross walks
- Park at least five metres from stop signs, yield signs or intersections
View poster under Resources.