The use of technology is an integral part of learning at all CBE schools. Students are eligible to access school technology and resources, including CBE email and CBE secure network. Students and parents may also elect to use personal devices, and apply to connect to the Internet through the Learner Accessible Wireless Network. School technology is intended for educational purposes under the guidelines of Alberta Education.
Joane Cardinal-Schubert High School instructs students in, and expects students to practise, positive digital citizenship when using both school and personal devices.
Students are encouraged to use technology to: Access, critically assess, and communicate information and understanding
- Seek alternative viewpoints
- Collaborate during inquiry
- Construct personal knowledge and meaning
- Demonstrate understandings
- Organize and manipulate data
- Interact with others
Students are expected to learn and demonstrate digital etiquette while using the digital resources of the CBE, and when using their own devices within the school setting.
*USBs that are used to transfer data between school and out-of-school technology can sometimes pose a particular risk in transferring viruses. Students should virus-scan such devices regularly.
The Following Activities are Inappropriate for Students:
- Viewing or Sending offensive messages, pictures or videos
- Using obscene language
- Harassing, insulting, or attacking others
- Unsupervised gaming
- Violating copyright laws
- Allowing others to use your account
- Trespassing into other people’s folders, work, or files
- Intentionally destroying other people’s work
- Using electronic media for plagiarizing
- Storing and using information for cheating
- Intentionally misusing system technology on activities such as:
- Downloading software or restricted files (e.g. Exe, Zip, mp3)
- Installing software on any school computer
- Intentionally damaging computer equipment or the network
- Employing the CBE network for commercial purposes
- Participating in online gambling or other gaming activities
- Excessive or inappropriate printing
- Bypassing the CBE’s internet content filtering system unless approved and supervised by an instructor
Students involved in inappropriate activities using technology may experience the following consequences:
- Internet and/or computer use privilege suspension
- A letter sent home to parents/guardians
- A referral to a school administrator
Learn more about cellphones on our Personal Belongings page.