Network, Wireless Internet Use, and Security
Use of school computers is regularly monitored and logged. Any misuse of personal electronic devices, computers, or
the computer network will result in disciplinary action, which may include restriction or loss of computer privileges. JGD
Digital Citizenship Form is found under Resources.
Students are required to conform to Calgary Board of Education Administrative Regulation 1062 | Responsible Use of Electronic Information when using the network.
Examples of misuse of school technology include, but are not limited to:
- any attempt to harm or destroy data of another user or the CBE network (i.e. Hacking);
- playing games, gambling, downloading or installing software or restricted files;
- sending or displaying inappropriate messages or pictures—this includes items posted on social media platforms,
- such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.;
- using other people’s passwords or accounts.
Smartphones and Student-Owned Devices
Learning and teaching in the 21st Century emphasizes technology in the classroom which can be effectively used to personalize learning opportunities. The use of smartphones and other student owned devices will only be permitted when authorized by a teacher. Such use must be in accordance with our policy on Network, Wireless Internet Use and Security (see above) and classroom expectations, as defined by the teacher. We encourage students to ensure that all of their personal devices are password protected and always either under direct supervision or locked in the student’s locker—never leave electronic devices unattended or in a gym issued locker. The school is not responsible for personal devices that are lost, stolen or damaged.