Expectations of Students
Our conduct and progressive discipline policies are based on the Alberta School Act and on guidelines established by the CBE.
- Staff will endeavor to deal with discipline problems in an objective, professional manner, treating each child with respect and considering each student's individual needs.
- It is our expectation that students will consistently demonstrate their commitment to the school's expectations for citizenship, character and personal development in order to create a learning community, where all members feel valued, respected and safe.
- Whenever a student interferes with the rights of others, then disciplinary procedures will be initiated.
- The staff member who first encounters an incident is the initial person responsible for intervening and determining the best course of action.
- Staff will use problem solving approaches and due process to resolve the situation, applying natural and logical consequences in response to behavior difficulties.
- Staff will determine whether incidences should be formally documented, whether administration involvement is required and/or whether parents/guardians should be contacted.
- Ongoing, recurring, and escalating difficulties (i.e. disrespectful treatment of others, abusive language, threats, physical aggression, vandalism, defiance of authority, repeated harassment, criminal activity) will automatically be referred to administration.
- Parents will be contacted to make them aware of the nature of the concern and to enlist their support.
- Parents are considered essential in helping students understand the consequences of their actions.
- For serious concerns, teachers, students, and parents will be asked to formulate a plan of action with administration.
- Serious misconduct may result in loss of privileges, removal from class, assignment of community service duties, an in school or home suspension (1 – 5 days), a referral to student services, involvement of our Calgary Police Service Resource Officer, or suspension to our Area Office.
- All matters of discipline, including recommended consequences, will be dealt with in a confidential manner.
- Each incident will be documented and treated on its own merit.
- By applying logical, natural, and consistent consequences for actions, and by providing students with opportunities to become responsible and caring members of our learning community, we believe our students will learn that the choices they make impact how they live in the community with others.