Our Learning Program
As we strive to meet our objectives, in providing a quality learning environment and connecting to our themes and big ideas, the school has a number of processes in place.
- As much as possible we will organize around core programming, having teachers proficient in paired subjects (humanities, math / science) work with two classes. We believe having fewer adult relationships helps students and teachers build strong relationships.
- As a school, we continue to approach curriculum with a generative philosophy, creating and sustaining a caring and intellectual learning environment that is rich and rigorous.
- Student Services Team (SST) leaders and regular meetings with staff and Area 6 Specialist in assessing and acting on the individual needs of our learners.
- Daily Physical Education includes: physical education modules twice a week, fitness twice a week, and living skills program. A comprehensive complementary course program offering a cross-section of learning opportunities for each grade level:
- Grade 7 will get an introduction to each complementary course in 6 week mini-courses in order to provide students an experience of each option before they focus their options to 4 classes in Grades 8 and 9.
- Currently offered Career and Technology Foundations linked courses: Foods, Construction, Outdoor Education, Digital Production
- Currently offered Fine Arts: Band, Art, Drama
- Accessibility to technology in the classroom, with multiple carts each containing laptops and/or tablets available for learning in all areas of the school via our wireless network
- Online student progress reporting through TeacherLogic, allowing both students and families frequent and timely access to academic progress in each subject area.
- Access to Desire2Learn (D2L) online learning platforms potentially organized by teachers for assignments, homework calendars, project uploads, discussion boards, and assignment dropboxes.
- Partnership with Southland Leisure Centre (SLC) in sharing facilities to enhance our student PE and complementary programs in return for evening and summer use of John Ware by SLC.
- Ongoing communication with families in a variety of mediums to continue the conversation about teaching and learning.