COVID-19 Outbreak Case Number 2020-EI-7731.
Two or more cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed at Killarney School and as a result, the Medical Officer of Health has declared and Outbreak.
December 21, 2020
Dear Parents/Guardians of students of Killarney School
RE: Notice of COVID-19 to Staff, Students and Visitors in Killarney School located 3008 - 33 Street S.W.
Two or more cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed at Killarney School located 3008 - 33 Street S.W. As a result the Medical Officer of Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at Killarney School. Public Health staff are investigating to determine who may have been exposed at your school to cases of COVID-19 during their infectious period. The virus is passed from person to person by large, respiratory droplets, like from a cough or sneeze. This means that a person would need to have direct contact with droplets from a sick person or surfaces that they have recently touched. The risk of the general population in the school becoming infected because of these cases is low.
If staff or students have been identified as a close contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case, they will be notified via phone, email, or mail by either AHS or the school as per routine communication processes.
- If staff or students have not been identified as a close contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case but develop symptoms as listed on the daily screening tool, please self-isolate at home and complete the AHS COVID-19 online assessment tool or call Health Link at 811 as soon as possible to arrange for COVID-19 testing.
- If you or your child require medical attention, please call ahead to your health care provider or call Health Link at 811 to help guide you to the right care provider and make appropriate arrangements to care for yourself or your child safely.
- If this is an emergency and you or your child require urgent attention, call 911 and tell them that you or your child may have been in contact with COVID-19 so that they can make appropriate arrangements to care for you or your child safely.
- For more detailed information for Close Contacts of a COVID-19 case, please visit: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/topics/Page17221.aspx
To help minimize spread of any respiratory virus we always recommend the following:
- Make sure everyone in your household washes their hands with soap and water often. If soap and water are not available, you can use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if hands are not visibly dirty.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Use a tissue when you cough or sneeze and throw it in a garbage bin lined with a plastic bag. Wash your hands immediately after that. If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve.
- Stay home if you’re sick. If your kids are sick, keep them home from school.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are used often and shared by everyone in your home such as door knobs, light switches and bathroom taps.
- Practice physical distancing outside the home (at least 2 metres) and wear a mask in public spaces if physical distancing is not possible.
- Ensure your child’s immunizations are up to date, including their annual influenza immunization.
For further information regarding COVID-19, please visit: www.ahs.ca/covid the AHS website for COVID-19 or call Health Link at 811 if there are any questions.
Please use the Outbreak ID when going to get tested for COVID-19 2020-EI-7731.
Communicable Disease Control