Kid Have Stress Too
Stress in a child’s life comes from things like:
- Change (like moving or starting a new school)
- Having too much to do
- Feeling different from other kids (and being bullied or teased)
- Arguing in the family
- Feeling lonely or unloved.
Stressors like these can lead to:
- Tummy aches
- Crying and whining
When kids are stressed they might:
- Have trouble sleeping
- Find it hard to relax
- Have changes in appetite
- Lose interest in activities
- Have difficulty getting along with others.
Some children don’t show their stress, and other children show stress by behaving badly.
When your child feels stressed, the most important thing you can do to help is spend time with them; listening to them and trying to understand how they feel. Affection and family activities (such as exercise) can help your child feel loved and like they belong. Alone time and deep breathing can also help alleviate stress.
To prevent stress in your home, make sure your child:
- Gets exercise
- Time to play
- Healthy food
- Bedtime and morning routines
- Fun with the family
- Ask and listen to them about their stress and work towards managing your own stress.
Nasreen Sunderani R.N. B.N CCHN(c)
Shaganappi Community Health Centre
Alberta Health Services