The CBE provides an open access wireless network to all CBE schools allowing students to access the internet using student owned personal electronic devices. Access is available to students on a voluntary basis. Students and their parent(s) are required to read and sign the yearly Acceptable Use Policy for Lake Bonavista School prior to students bringing their personal devices to school. Unacceptable use (at home or at school) of digital resources such a software programs, social media, that impact students at school will be handled in accordance with the CBE and Lake Bonavista School’s behavior policies. Parents and guardians are encouraged to discuss the learning opportunities, the usage and behavior expectations, and the risks with their child/children.
Be assured that the content filtering that is normally used to filter inappropriate materials on the school’s internal network will also be applied to the open access network. Classroom use of personal electronic devices is at the discretion of the classroom teacher to enhance learning. Students are to ask their teacher for permission to bring any personal digital device to school for learning purposes including computers, cell phones, iPods, tablets, etc. Students notify their teacher upon entering the classroom that they have the pre-approved personal electronic device. It is recommended that students place their devices in a designated area in their classrooms.
A note of caution: Backpacks and the student coat areas are not secured locations. Personal devices are to be turned off if stored in backpacks or in the student coat areas. They are not to be used during the lunch or afternoon recess without the permission and direct supervision of a staff member. The focus of this agreement is on student learning and places responsibility on students for appropriate use and behavior.
As with any personal belonging that a student brings to school, the school cannot be responsible for electronic devices that are lost, stolen or damaged. Students are also responsible for maintenance, software updates, virus protection and charging.
Students at Lake Bonavista School are expected to be responsible digital citizens who demonstrate citizenship through an understanding of personal and civic responsibility. By not demonstrating the above expectations, disciplinary measures may result as outlined in CBE Administrative Regulations 1062 and 6001.
Lake Bonavista School Admiral Use Policy
Our Admirable Use policy positively describes the ways in which we expect Lake Bonavista students to use digital devices for learning. Inappropriate uses of digital devices and/or our network within Lake Bonavista School as per CBE regulations are also described.
Students will use devices and/or our network to:
- Access, critically assess, and communicate information and understanding
- Seek alternative viewpoints
- Collaborate during inquiry
- Construct personal knowledge and meaning
- Demonstrate understandings
- Organize and manipulate data
- Interact with others
- Demonstrate their understanding of learning outcomes in creative and thoughtful ways.
- Learn how to communicate in the same manner that is asked of them in face-to-face communications.
- Share their learning with their families and the wider community.
- Support self-paced and just-in-time learning.
- Think critically and build a wide variety of literacy skills.
- Explore questions in relation to learning and life.
- Find rich and reliable sources of information and to learn how to cite and share these sources.
- Practice and learn digital etiquette in a responsible, respectful manner.
- Have fair access to an electronic society in age appropriate ways
- Support their understanding of new digital technologies.
- Work in a manner that protects their own and other’s privacy, safety and freedom of thought.
- Work in a manner that protects the health and wellness of themselves and others.
The following activities are examples (not limited to) of inappropriate use for students, staff or parents:
- Sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures
- Intentionally damaging computer equipment or the network
- Violating copyright laws
- Intentionally destroying other people’s work
- Using electronic media for plagiarizing
- Employing the CBE network for commercial purposes
- Using obscene language
- Harassing, insulting, or attacking others
- Storing and using information for cheating
- Recording voices or images without prior consent
- Intentionally wasting system technology on non-teacher-approved activities such as:
- Playing non-teacher-directed games
- Participating in non-teacher-directed “chat”
- Participating in online gambling or other gaming activities
- Downloading software or restricted files
- Installing software on any school computer
- Excessive or inappropriate printing
Lake Bonavista School’s Digital Citizenship Agreement
We agree to demonstrate the following characteristics of good digital citizenship:
• I will keep my CBE account passwords and other personal information confidential.
• I will practice responsible conduct and digital etiquette when using all forms of technology.
• I will inform my teacher if something on an electronic device makes me feel uncomfortable or is inappropriate.
• I will use electronic information resources in a responsible manner that supports learning.
• If I use my own personal device it is my individual responsibility to care for it.
• I will use appropriate language and communicate respectfully while using electronic devices .
• I will respect the property and the creative work of others.
• I will protect and respect personal information of others.
• I will use all electronic resources in a responsible manner that does not damage computer systems, data or networks.
• I will leave the school equipment so that it is ready to be used by others.
• I will use electronic equipment in the classroom environment to support learning in consultation with my teacher.
• I will use technology responsibly and for the purpose of learning.
• I will work with my teacher to decide how technology will be utilized to support my learning.
• I understand that artifacts produced on the computer for learning are expected to be shared as part of my learning.