Montessori Program at the CBE
Is the Montessori Program the Right Choice for My Child?
A successful student demonstrates:
- A willingness and capacity to work independently
- An ability to be self-directed
- Academic success through engagement in Alberta Programs of Study using the Montessori philosophy and methodology
- An appreciation for use of hands-on learning with a diminished focus on homework
Characteristics of Montessori Program
- Emphasis on intrinsic motivation and student choice
- Intentional learning environments designed to facilitate self-directed learning
- Where possible, multi-aged classrooms are provided, so that children develop trusting relationships within a peer cohort
- Working with children of differing ages encouraging leadership skills and collaboration
- Montessori teachers hold an Alberta teaching certificate and Montessori teacher training
- Beautifully prepared Montessori materials extend learning
**Entry into the Montessori Program takes place in Kindergarten, Grade 1 and Grade 2 only, unless a child has continuous documented Montessori experience (space dependent)
Visit the CBE website to help determine whether or not the Montessori Program is right for your child and for the Alternative Programs Handbook (Alberta Education).