Physical Education Program
Students at Langevin School will be participating in a variety of physical education activities. Each unit will range from 4 to 12 classes before rotating to the next unit with Health & Life Skills integrated throughout the year (see Resources on this page for details of what will be offered during the year). Within each unit we will be incorporating fitness training and scientific connections when possible. In addition, each grade will be offered 1-2 Outdoor Education experiences on Fridays throughout the school year. All other Friday PE classes will be “Fitness Fridays”. Our philosophy is to expose students to a variety of activities, experiences and fitness opportunities in order to improve their overall fitness level and love of sport.
Physical Education Units
Volleyball, Cross-Country, Soccer, Touch Football, Gymnastics, Combatives, Dance, Floor Hockey, Ultimate Frisbee, Badminton, Cricket, Lacrosse, Rugby, Broom Ball, Track and Field, Pedometers, Baseball, Orienteering, Basketball, Low Organized Games, and other activities.
Students will make responsible and informed choices to maintain health and to promote safety for themselves and others.
- Personal Health
- Safety and Responsibility
Students will develop effective interpersonal skills that demonstrate responsibility, respect and care in order to establish and maintain healthy interactions.
- Understanding and Expressing Feelings
- Group roles and Processes
Life Learning Choices
Students will use resources effectively to manage and explore life roles and career opportunities and challenges.
- Learning Strategies
- Life Roles and Career Development
- Leadership skills
Wellness, Relationship & Life Learning choices are the key foundation themes for health for grades 5-9. The health program will be delivered through 3 units throughout the year, in addition to being integrated directly into physical education classes where possible.
We use the support of Alberta Health Services, the Fourth R program, as well as online resources recommended by Alberta Education.
Physical Education Clothing | Expectations
It is expected that all students in grades 7-9 wear gym strip to participate in Physical Education. The gym strip can be ordered through the 2019/2020 School Apparel form. The PE staff does have some stock available, so throughout the year it is possible to purchase gym strip directly from PE staff. If purchasing a set of gym strip poses a financial concern, please contact the PE department.
Appropriate PE clothing at Langevin is:
- Langevin Shirt (not optional)
- Langevin Shorts
- Workout pants (sweat, track or yoga)
- Warm clothes for outside activities (we even go outside in the winter!)
- Socks and non-marking running/athletic shoes
The cost for Langevin gym strip is as follows:
- PE T-shirt - $15.00
- PE shorts - $20.00
Permitted Changing Times
- A maximum of 5 minutes will be allowed at the beginning and the end of each class.
- Tardiness is unacceptable.
Changing for PE class is imperative for hygienic reasons, in addition it allows for increased movement and fosters positive school spirit. Parental support is encouraged for this expectation.
Jewelry must not be worn during PE class for safety reasons. Each student is responsible for locking up his or her jewelry. A small box or old yogurt container inside a locker makes a good storage place.
Your last name will be written on the back of your T-shirt. Make sure to label your shorts and runners. If you lose something, there is a greater chance of it being returned if it is labeled. Lock up your belongings AND do not share your combination with others!
It is the students’ responsibility to lock up their belongings during class time. The School will provide each student with a PE locker and lock. Locks must be returned at the end of the year in proper working order.
- No food or drinks in the locker rooms or gym.
- Cell phone/technology use is not permitted in the change rooms.
- Students are allowed in the gym for an activity only if a teacher supervisor is present.
- All students participating in class, intramurals or team practice must be changed into gym strip (unless otherwise stated).
- Everyone participating must have appropriate footwear (running shoes). No shoes that mark the floor are allowed.
- Students are not allowed in the equipment room or PE offices unless they have permission.
Students will be evaluated on a 4 point scale under the following three stems:
- Performs and refines movement skills
- Cooperates to demonstrate fair play and teamwork
- Explores strategies for leading a healthy, active way of life
See the Langevin School Physical Education Rubric for more details.
Exemptions from P.E. Class
1. Short Term Exemption
- In order to be excused from gym class, a note from home must be provided.
- Participation will be modified in order to meet the student’s medical needs.
- Students will be expected to participate in some capacity!
2. Long Term Exemption
- If a student is to be exempt from class for 1 week or longer, then a doctor’s note is required.