The English Language Learning (ELL) program fosters the language development of students whose first language is not English and may require support. With LBP students representing over 70 countries, many of our learners are considered ELL. Student’s English language skills are assessed prior to their placement in an Introductory (Level 1 and 2), Intermediate (Level 3) or Advanced (Level ELL program. Alberta Benchmarks are the tools used to assess our ELL learners: http://www.learnalberta.ca/content/eslapb/
Depending on their level, students will be placed in one or more ELL courses to help them:
- acquire the linguistic skills needed for academic success in high school courses;
- make the adjustment to our school system and teaching methods; and
- potentially qualify for a fourth year of high school as they learn English.
- Supports for ELL Levels 2, 3, and 4
- ELL Courses in English, Social Studies, Math, Science