Off-Campus Education

Work Experience

Work experience allows students to gain practical knowledge, enhance their skills, confirm career decisions, and form attitudes that will assist them in their transitions from school to the world of work. Students in grade 10, 11 and 12 can enroll and earn from 3-30 credits. The prerequisite course HCS 3000 (Workplace Safety Systems) must be completed before any off-campus education credits will be awarded. Existing part-time jobs may be eligible as a work experience placement provided the student can demonstrate new learning is occurring.

Lord Beaverbrook offers Work Experience 15, 25 and 35.

Please also visit the CBE Unique Opportunities and Off-Campus Education page.

Contact Information

See Work Experience (Wk Exp /RAP) in our Staff Directory. Call our office at 403-259-5585 or email

Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP)

The Registered Apprenticeship Program gives you the opportunity to start your training in a TRADE while you are still in High School.

You can earn up to 40 High School credits, while also earning hours in your Apprenticeship Book…and you get paid while you are at work.

There are three parts to the RAP program.

1) Students choose a trade and find a job. 
The student needs to find a job where they can be supervised by a person with a Journeyman’s ticket in the same trade. There are resources available to help with the job search but the work is up to the student.

2) Students sign up for the RAP Program at Lord Beaverbrook. 
The RAP coordinator will visit the worksite and coordinate the learning process. RAP is an agreement between the student who does the work, the employer who provides the training and supervision and the RAP Coordinator who collects the paperwork and assess the students’ learning. Hours of work can vary considerably…

  • working as a RAP apprentice for one semester, and going to school the next
  • working half a day, and going to school the other half
  • working during the evenings, weekends, holidays and attending school during the regular term
  • working over the summer time

3) Students become indentured in a trade. 
Students need to submit an application to Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) stating their desire to become an Apprentice. AIT will track the hours spent working in a trade. Each trade has a set number of hours that need to be worked in each year and the number of years that need to be worked in the Apprenticeship.

There are 50 different trades to choose form in Alberta. We can help you narrow it down if you need help. For more information on RAP… including scholarship, trade and occupation descriptions, financial assistance and training opportunitits – visit the Government of Alberta Apprentice and Industry Training website. As an APPRENTICE you work under the direct supervision of a JOURNEYMAN who has been through the training process themselves. Apprenticeship training last an average of 4 years long with a couple of months of Technical Training at SAIT each year. For more information Contact Mrs. Laura Freeborn our Work Experience and RAP Coordinator Email:

Last modified on