Our staff at Maple Ridge School recognizes that our volunteers are the heart and soul of our school community. Volunteering is about commitment and caring, caring for others, and advocating for a cause in which you believe. It's about working together with others who share a common goal to bring about positive change.
Volunteering is a prime example of active citizenship and builds a sense of community and belonging, and being connected with others. When parent volunteers donate their skills to assist our students and teachers, they are expressing to us, their values toward public education and the common good of all. The dedication of our parent volunteers is truly remarkable.
Volunteering and “Parents as Partners” is alive and strong at Maple Ridge School! Parent involvement is vital to our school program. Volunteer assistance enhances the educational opportunities for the children and all parents are welcome.
We realize that many parents work outside of the home and find it difficult to visit the classroom. If you have an opportunity to assist in the class it will delight your child, and give you a better understanding of “a day in a life of a student.” There will be a room parent calling you to find out which days are most convenient. For security reasons, all volunteers and visitors must sign in at the office before going into the classroom.
Volunteers are always welcome to refreshments in our Staff Room. We ask that volunteers please park in front of the school on Maplemont Road, as there are no empty spaces in our parking lot. A coat rack is available in the workroom. Please do not leave your valuables unattended. They may be left in the office if you wish to do so.
Volunteers may provide assistance in the following ways:
- to assist in providing an effective learning environment for our students
- to meaningfully involve the community in the education process
- to utilize the unique talents and areas of interest of our school community
- to provide children with the experience of working with adults other than school staff
- to assist teachers with non-instructional tasks.
The contributions of all volunteers are invaluable in enriching the educational environment of Maple Ridge learners. The following code of ethics shall apply to all volunteers of Maple Ridge School:
- The volunteer must be discreet. It is essential that a volunteer refrain from discussing parents, children, or school staff.
- The volunteer works in the school at the invitation of the professional staff or the office.
- The volunteer is to respect the professional role and judgment of the teacher.
- The volunteer should refer any discipline problems to the teacher in charge.
- Once a parent has agreed on a time commitment, efforts should be made to attend regularly. The designated staff member should be informed ahead of time of any necessary absence.
- When clarification is needed volunteers are expected to consult with teachers.
Volunteer members of the School Council undertake most of the work of organizing volunteers. The Parent Volunteer Coordinator will be sending home an information sign-up form by mid September. Volunteer duties will vary depending on the area of the school in which volunteers are assisting and on the needs of teachers.