Parking Lot is Off Limits
Please be aware of the signs on the street and in the parking lot. Please do not drive into the parking lot to drop off or pick up students as this is a safety issue. If you are parking across the street, please walk your child to the patrol crossing.
Grade 5 and 6 students serve as members on our School Safety Patrol Team. An assigned City of Calgary Police Officer works closely with these students and their teacher supervisors. Students walking to and from Marion Carson must accompany the patrol team when crossing Varsity Drive (when patrols are on duty). If the temperature is below -20 C, it is what we call a “Blue Day” and patrollers will not go on duty.
If your 4 – 9 year old child will be walking to school, ensure that he is supervised by an adult or older student when crossing the street. Kids under 10 years of age do not have the judgment or skill to safely cross the street alone.
Teach your child basic road safety rules. Teach them to walk on the sidewalk and to obey traffic safety signals and the signals of a crossing guard. Encourage your child to cross at marked intersections whenever possible. Please take the time to show them the right way rather than the unsafe “convenient way.” Role model safe pedestrian behaviour for your child.
Parking Around Schools: Photo Enforcement
Calgary Parking Authority is helping to make school areas safer for our students and school communities. Here’s what you should know.
- The Calgary Parking Authority is now using photo enforcement in addition to Enforcement Officers in school
2. So tickets may be received in the mail or placed on vehicles that are in violation of parking regulations.
3. You must follow posted signage, even if you remain in your vehicle.
Parking responsibly around schools is very important for the safety of the students attending these schools and members of the community.
TIPS: Avoid Parking Fines
- Stay back at least 1.5 metres from entrances to garages or driveways
- Watch for “No stopping” and “No parking zones
- Keep school bus zones clear
- Leave five metres between your car and cross walks
- Park at least five metres from stop signs, yield signs or intersections
View poster under Resources.