Computers are available in the computer lab, library and on the laptop carts available to all classrooms throughout the school as a learning tool. Computer and network access requires teacher permission and supervision. Individual teachers will also have expectations regarding the use of computers in the classroom. Printing student work is permitted with the permission of the supervising staff member. Lunch break priority of computer workstations will be given to students who require access for school based work. All students receive a CBE e-mail account.
Marshall Springs Wireless Student Network
Marshall Springs students can now bring their own devices (laptops, netbooks, and tablets) to school! A wireless student network for internet access using student owned personal electronic devices is being provided at Marshall Springs. The use of personal devices by students, with the guidance of parents and teachers, will assist in addressing individual student preferences and needs for learning. As with any personal belonging that a student brings to school, the school cannot be responsible for electronic devices that are lost, stolen or damaged.
These resources may only be used for educational purposes. You can exemplify the Marshall Springs Way by treating the equipment with care, alerting your teacher to problems, cleaning up after yourself, and maintaining a quiet environment where all students can learn.
Acceptable Use of Calgary Board of Education (CBE) and Marshall Springs Electronic Information Resources
Whenever you use technology at Marshall Springs, you are agreeing to the Acceptable Use Policy. It is important that you understand this policy and that you take your role as technology user seriously. You are expected to keep your password private and secure and to model respectful, responsible academic computer use at all times.
Access privileges to the Marshall Springs computer network are dependent on the level of responsibility shown by individual students. It is our intent to have all students access this valuable tool for learning on an ongoing basis. The following acts and prohibited sites constitute inappropriate use and may endanger students, and/or possibly damage the network, hardware, and/or software.
Prohibited acts include, but are not limited to:
- Use of someone else’s CBE account or access to network
- Sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures
- Use of obscene language
- Harassing, insulting or attacking another person or their reputation
- Trespassing in others peoples’ folders, work or files
- Intentionally accessing, posting, sending or downloading of inappropriate material
- Assuming the identity of another person to gain information
- Viewing webpages through a proxy server
- Running an application/program from a memory stick/jump drive
- In any way moving, opening hardware or computer accessories
- Any attempt and/or threats to harm a person
- Plagiarism of online content
- Posting, publishing, circulating or distributing personal information about oneself or others without the supervision and consent of a staff member
- Sharing of usernames and passwords for other people to use
- Downloading copyrighted material or unlicensed software
Prohibited Sites include
- Vulgar or lewd depiction of the human body
- Any content publicly labelled for adults
- Violent acts
- Online gambling
- Sites encouraging the use of illicit or illegal drugs, tobacco, or alcohol
- Advocating violence or hatred against an identifiable group.ie. race, religion, gender, disabilities, age, colour, sexual orientation, etc.
- Sites promoting criminal activity
Violation of the CBE and Marshall Springs Policy
Each situation is dealt with on an individual basis and breach of policy may result in:
- Restricted or loss of computer privileges
- School based disciplinary consequences
- Police Intervention and/or Legal action