First Day of Classes
Our first day of classes is Tuesday, Sept.1, 2020 and the school office is open to parents on Aug. 27 & 28, 2020 from 9 AM - 2 PM each day, and on Aug. 31, 2020 from 9AM - 12PM.
School Start & End Times
Our bell times are
Monday to Thursday 8:30 AM – 3:17 PM
Friday and Modified Dismissal Days 8:30 AM – 12:40 PM
It is recommended students arrive at school by 8:20 each morning to allow them the time needed to visit their lockers and get settled. Students who are not seated in class and ready to learn when the second bell rings at 8:30 will be marked absent.
For more information on school hours visit our Contact Us page.
Staggered Entry Plan
- Tuesday Sept. 1: Students with last name A-F ONLY will attend.
- Wednesday Sept. 2: Students with last name G-M ONLY will attend. •
- Thursday Sept. 3: Students with last name N-Z ONLY will attend.
- Friday Sept, 4: ALL students attend 8:30 a.m. until 12:40 p.m.
Sept. 1 – Sept. 3 will be regular school hours (8:30-3:17). We realize that parents will have to make child care arrangements but we are confident that this plan will ensure a safer, calmer, more welcoming return for families.
Students will take part in homeroom activities including getting to know their classmates and the building. We will also be running a shortened modified schedule to allow students the opportunity to familiarize themselves with the new routines around the school.
On the first day students will also bring home an information package that includes a number of documents that need to be signed and returned to the school, as well as information such as calendars and other school information for you to keep.
Entry and Exit Doors
- In an effort to promote social distancing we are asking that on your child’s designated day they enter through the main doors by the office. There will be teachers available to monitor social distancing and provide students with guidance once they enter the building to move to their homeroom class. Entry time will happen from 8:15 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. to reduce congestion at door.
- On your child’s first day of school they will get assigned a designated door that they will use starting on Friday, Sept. 4 for entry and exit.
- On every day, beginning Sept. 4th, enter through your designated door between 8:15–8:30. At 8:30 doors will be locked and students will be considered late. Students will enter through the front door after 8:30. Markers will be used outside to help maintain social distancing while waiting in line to sign in.
- At 3:17 dismissal begins. Students will exit out their designated door in an orderly manner designed to reduce crowding in doorways. Students MUST be prompt at 3:17 to leave the school grounds.
Parking and Drop-Off
There is no parking at all in front of the school on McKenzie Town Drive or on the north side of the school on Inverness Park SE.
The front of the school, McKenzie Town Drive SE is marked as follows ◦BUS ZONE (no parking or stopping)
North side of the school, Inverness Park SE is marked as follows ◦NO PARKING – Hug and Go (parents may stop and let their child out)
No drop off or pick up in staff parking lot.
The number of visitors (including parents and caregivers) admitted in to the school will be significantly limited. Please use email and phone calls for communication. Additionally all fees will be paid online through MyCBE/PowerSchool.
There have been many questions around school supplies. The CBE has instituted a $40 supply fee per student which will provide the basic supplies required for learning for all students grade 4-9. In the event that there will be classroom based supplies/manipulatives to be used by more than one student, all shared supplies will be disinfected between each student use. Students are welcome to bring their own supplies if they choose.
Thank you for you support as we plan re-entry. We are committed to a safe, orderly learning environment that is fun, engaging and full of learning.
We are a school that follows the traditional calendar. View our school's Calendar for upcoming events and dates. Also please see the 2019 School Calendar for at a glance dates for modified dismissals, conferences, and all non instructional days including professional development and winter and spring breaks.
Please visit our How to Register page for registration details and forms.
Our school office re-opens on Aug. 27 for registration.