McKenzie Lake School is a vibrant and caring community of learners - students, staff, and families - who are committed to nurturing personal, behavioural, and academic excellence. The safety, dignity and positive spirit of our community are all valued and supported through our CBE Student Code of Conduct and CBE Progressive Student Discipline regulations.
It is expected that all students will be:
Our model is to respond to student behavior in a consistent, universal, school-wide approach, based on fair and predictable responses, support and corrective actions that provide opportunities for students to learn while focusing on improving behavior.
We do this by:
- outlining clear, consistent roles and expectations that promote a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environment for students, staff and families,
- respecting diversity and fostering a sense of belonging for all members of our school community,
- helping students to develop empathy and become positive citizens both within and outside of the school community,
- explaining the consequences when a student’s disruptive behaviour negatively impacts the learning environment,
- supporting personal development, character and citizenship through a progression of proactive, preventative, and restorative strategies:
- Restitution: fixing what they have done,
- Resolution: preparing a Plan (behavioural statement) to keep the incident from happening again, which is shared with parents/guardians, and
- Reconciliation: making amends with the person he/she has harmed.
Serious and/or chronic misbehavior may be subject to disciplinary measures up to and including suspension or expulsion.