Volunteering at McKenzie Towne School
Volunteers are a vital part of our school’s operation. Research strongly indicates that the single most powerful factor
in developing productive school experiences is the close relationship between home and school, parents and teachers. Our school recognizes this value and encourages the use of volunteers to enhance our programs.
Volunteers can assist by:
- Improving the adult/student ratio
- Expanding the variety of classroom activities
- Allowing teachers to spend more instructional time with students
- Enriching the quality of school programs
- Building an understanding through involvement.
Another goal of the volunteer program is to promote communication between school staff and parents as we work together to provide the best possible education for our children.
Volunteers are asked to sign-in and pick-up a volunteer tag from the office area. Please return it prior to leaving the school. All volunteers fill out a Police Information Check Form, Search and Disclosure Waiver and Release, prior to volunteering in the school. This police check is valid for 5 years. Please note prospective volunteers must reside in Canada for a full year before registering. Police clearances from countries other than Canada are not accepted.
Parents/guardians, grandparents and caregivers can volunteer on a regular or occasional basis. Once a volunteer has agreed on the time of commitment, efforts should be made to be there or find a replacement. The designated teacher should be informed ahead of time of any necessary absences at 403-777-6185.
Volunteer Opportunities at Our School
Classroom Assistance: In-Class
- Kindergarten volunteers may be asked to help set up crafts/activities, tidy the paint/sand/water centres, help children at centres, help children with reading skills.
- Grades 1 - 4 volunteers work with children in writing and oral reading, math supervise students on field trips.
Classroom Assistance: Teacher Materials
- Assist in preparing instructional Materials, photocopying materials
Home Room Parent:
- Meet with the teacher to get volunteer lists, phone volunteers and do monthly calendar.
- Arrange for classroom volunteers for events or field trips.
- Attend Parent Council meetings.
- Read one-on-one with students to provide extra skill work.
- Workshops may be provided to learn specific strategies.
- Card and shelve books
- Process new materials
- Help children find materials
- Change bulletin board displays
- Help with events such as; raffles, dances, casino, Activity Day, etc.
- Set up the gym for an event, school dance, in-line skating assistance, Activity Day, organize cultural events
Year Book Committee:
- take photographs of school events
- help organize photos and lay outs
- meet as a group to discuss themes and designs