Safety and Security
We take the safety of our students and staff very seriously. Midnapore School is monitored by recorded closed circuit TV to help us maintain safety protocols. All outside school doors are locked throughout the day, therefore we ask anyone wishing to enter the school past the bell time (including students) to come to the front door and ring the buzzer. We encourage students to arrive on time for school each day.
Please be aware of these Calgary Board of Education safety protocols and make sure you observe them at all times:
- Upon each entry to the building, we ask all parents/visitors/guests at Midnapore School to proceed immediately to the school office. In case of emergency, and for the safety of all students, staff and visitors, we need to know who is in our building at all times.
- All students who are late for any reason must come sign in at the office and pick up a late slip.
- Once students are checked into the office and have their late slip, we ask that they walk by themselves to their classroom.
- All students who are leaving early must be signed out by a parent or other person who is on the contact list in the office. The meeting place for early pick-up is always the school office.
- Any changes in personal information such as phone numbers or emergency contacts must be reported to the office ASAP. The school needs to be able to reach someone on your contact list at all times that your child is in our care.
A reminder to parents of students registered in the lunch program that leaving the school or the playground at noon is not permissible. We are responsible for providing a safe, supervised environment for all our lunch-room students over the entire lunch period. Daily attendance and adult supervision are critical components of this commitment. Hence, our poli-cy is that no student will be allowed to leave the school grounds without the supervision of an adult. A designated adult must sign the students out and remain with them until they are signed back in. As always, our most important responsibility is the safety and security of your children.
Teacher supervision and patrols begin 15 minutes before school starts. For safety reasons, children should not be on the school grounds before 7:45 in the morning and after 2:30 in the afternoon. There is no supervision after 2:30 p.m. dismissal. We ask all students to go home directly after school for safety’s sake.
In line with the safety and security policies outlined by the CBE, we remind all parents/guardians and volunteers that they must check-in to the office upon arriving at the school. If you are volunteering, please sign the visitor’s book in the office and pick up a volunteer tag.
If you need to pass along a message or an item to a student, we request that you come to the office and we will call the student to meet you or pass the message/item to the student.
Please also be aware that all exterior doors to the school remain locked throughout the day. Students arriving at school other than entry times must use the front doors and report to the main office for a late slip. Parents and visitors are reminded to buzz in and then report to the office, sign in and pick up a name tag upon arrival at the school.
After School Emergency Plan
Please take a few minutes to instruct your child(ren) about what they should do in the event that a parent is delayed in meeting them at the end of the school day.
Classroom teachers encourage students to return to the school through the front doors and check in to the office, should a parent be late in picking them up after school. This should also be reinforced by parents. If you know that you are running late, a quick call to the office before dismissal time will get a message to the child’s classroom and we’ll have them wait in the office for you to arrive.
There is no supervision for students after school. For their safety, all students are expected to leave the school grounds promptly at dismissal time. Students are not permitted to use the office phones to make after-school plans with friends. These plans need to be in place prior to school starting.
If your child walks home, please inform them of an alternate plan in the event that you are not home or if a key is forgotten or lost.
Staff are available at the school after bell time should assistance be required with any of the above.