Information Resources for Parents and Guardians
S4 – Start Smart Stay Safe
Start Smart Stay Safe is a strengths-based educational resource utilized by police officers, teachers, and schools in building resiliency and capacity in children and their families. Using a proactive delivery model, this resource intentionally builds skills and knowledge that supports students in successfully navigating through challenging situations like bullying, cyber-safety, pressure to engage in substance abuse or any high-risk behaviours. These models are delivered through affirming messaging, engaging activities, and fostering positive relationships between police officers school communities, and families. Classroom experiences are designed to invite uniformed officers to visit classrooms to explore the question “How do we work together to keep our community safe?”
Parental involvement in their child(ren)’s learning, not only improves a child’s morale, attitude, and academic achievement across all subject areas, but it also promotes better behaviour and social adjustment. In all these ways, family involvement in education helps children to grow up to be productive, responsible members of society!
As a parent of a child in a Start Smart Stay Safe (S4) school, there are many ways to be involved:
Participate in the Family Activities with your children and family.
- Use the on-line resources to further strengthen your family’s unique qualities and resilience
- Participate in Family Connection Activities that are sent home by your children’s classroom teacher
Volunteer as an S4 Parent Champion at the school to share S4 with other families.
- Help other families become familiar with S4 at events at the school (Welcome to Kindergarten, Meet the Teacher Nights, Parent Teacher Interviews, other School Celebrations)
- Organize Family Learning Sessions with school administration for parents/caregivers
Participate in school council.
- Be an S4 Parent Champion to inform school council of activities for families and coordinate other family events
- Support S4 initiatives as a member of school
To learn more about this program, please visit: http://startsmartstaysafe.ca/