What You Can Expect at MidSun
Learning is more likely to occur in an environment where all students clearly understand what they can expect and what is expected of them. Members of the MidSun community can expect:
- a safe and secure learning environment
- an excellent, qualified and caring staff
- a school committed to quality learning and to helping every student achieve their goals
- a balanced program of curricular and extracurricular opportunities
- an excellent athletic program with both inter-school and intramural sports
- a well-developed fine arts program, with both curricular and extra-curricular opportunities
- a Student Success Centre to support students with academic challenges
- open halls from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. (Students in the building before or after these times must be under the direct supervision of a teacher)
- a system of awards and celebration that will recognize a wide range of participation and accomplishment
- outstanding facilities – well-equipped labs, learning commons, classrooms and gymnasium
Team Teaching Approach
At MidSun we believe in creating an environment where students build strong relationships with peers and adults. Our teaching team approach strives to reduce the number of teachers a student works with on a daily basis so that teachers and students can build strong relationships. Each grade is led by a teacher Learning Leader and operates as a “school within a school” creating opportunity for strong learning relationships to developed by staff and students. If a parent has a concern that needs to be addressed, they are asked to first speak to the teacher and if the concern persists to speak with the appropriate member of their child’s grade Learning Leader team. Administration will become involved only if the problem persists and only after the teacher has been consulted. Most issues can easily be resolved at the teacher and grade pod
Homework and Academic Support
We believe consistent completion of homework is one way students can be successful at school. The amount of homework will vary depending on grade level, use of class time, subject area, time management, and personal goals around marks and achievement. Each teacher will have a D2L shell where student notes, handouts and homework will be regularly updated. Please talk to your teacher if you experience difficulty with assigned homework. Should students require additional help, or just want a quiet place to work, the following are available:
- Homework hotel on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:00 – 4:30 PM.
- Centennial high school tutors on Wednesdays after school in the Learning Commons beginning in October.
- Teacher tutorials. Teachers will have times throughout the week when they are available for extra help. Please organize this ahead of time as teachers are often coaching or planning with their colleagues.