Mount Royal School Physical Education Program
Grade 7, 8, & 9 Expectations
Mrs. Sonja Deeks (email@example.com) Phys. Ed/Health Learning Leader
Ms. McNab (firstname.lastname@example.org) Phys Ed, Health, Business and Leadership
Mr. Mike Belliveau (Mibelliveaucbe.ab.ca) Phys Ed, Health and Training for Excellence in Sport
1. Be prepared for class
Gym strip, proper athletic shoes, on time for class.
2. Safety First
- -Students will not be allowed in the equipment room without permission by a teacher.
2. -Do not touch or play with equipment that is out until given permission by your gym teacher.
3. -Do not use equipment in an unsafe manner.
4. No food (gum, candy, etc.) will be allowed in the gym at any time. Although you may bring a bottle of water.
5. For some units jewellery must not be worn in gym class.
3. Non-Participation due to medical reasons
a. Medical concern for 1-3 days:
- Submit a parent or guardian note explaining the medical concern or extent.
- Students will still be required to be active (if possible). For example a student with a sprained wrist can do lower body and core work out.
b. Medical concern that may affect participation throughout the year.
- Submit a doctor’s note explaining the extent of the problem and what the students can and can’t do. We also need to be informed to when you are able to start participation again.
- Show respect for all participants in the program, students and teachers alike. Show respect for equipment, facilities, and any invited guests or visitors.
- Performs and refines movement skills.
- Attempts to do the skills properly.
- Performs skill
- Shows willingness to improve skills
b. Cooperates to demonstrate fair play and teamwork
- Respects all students.
- Plays fair and shows proper etiquette.
- Always works cooperatively, providing encouragement and support for others.
c. Explores and applies strategies for leading a healthy, active way of life
- Effort - on task, takes initiative, and is open to trying new activities.
- Safety – self and others
6. Locks/Locker Room
a. Lost locks should be reported to the PE department immediately. Replacements cost for a lock is $7.00.
b. Students are asked to help keep the locker rooms clean and in good repair. They are also asked to respect the property of other students.
c. Food and beverages are not allowed in the locker rooms.
d. Ensure you always lock up all clothing and personal belongings during class.
Students are expected to dress appropriately for Physical Education. Mt. Royal shorts and t-shirts will be available for purchase, if you are not buying Mt Royal gym strip you are expected to bring your own.
Students may purchase gym strip on-line through our Mount Royal Spirit Store (new merch) or bring their own from home
P.E. units are five classes long, unless unforeseen events or bad weather. Students need to be prepared for the weather – this means:
- Sunny – Hat, sunscreen, water bottle
- Cold – jacket, sweatpants, gloves, toque
- Wrestling Unit - no jewellery to be worn. This includes watches, rings, metal hair clips, bobby pins. Please bring a container or bag to put your jewelry in.
A PE schedule will be posted by the PE office so students are prepared for their next units.