The National Sport School is a collaboration between WinSport Canada and the Calgary Board of Education. It was established in 1994 to provide an environment for Canada’s high-performance student-athletes to pursue excellence in both their academic and athletic careers. The National Sport School is well known for its strong academic standing as well as its innovative teaching and learning environment personalized for high-performance student-athletes.
We believe that learning should be:
where curriculum more closely reflects life outside school
with connections to student-athlete's lives
to more closely reflect our world
to accommodate the unique learning needs of students
to involve more than skills and content
At the National Sport School, we provide a supportive learning environment to enable developing high-performance athletes to mature as self-directed, life-long learners while pursuing excellence in sport.
The National Sport School will enable elite athletes to achieve their secondary school goals while training and competing in Olympic sports.
We believe that learning occurs best when:
- A culture of excellence in sport and learning permeates the school.
- All stakeholders – students, parents, coaches, teachers and WinSport Canada– participate in the decisions affecting student-athletes and their educational programs.
- Student-athletes assume responsibility for the achievement of their academic goals by developing the attitudes and skills to become independent learners through effective time management and communication skills.
- Student-athletes are provided with a hybrid educational environment, individualized scheduling, programs and support. A Teacher-Advisory program, small group instruction, tutorials, the opportunity to negotiate deadlines and the use of distance learning technologies facilitate student-athletes to continue their studies while training and competing.
- As interdependent members of a learning community, student-athletes endeavour to develop positive relationships with other members of our school community (fellow students, teachers, support staff and community partners).