Academic Integrity Agreement at National Sport School
Examples of behaviour that is considered academic misconduct include the following:
- Submitting or presenting the ideas and work of others as one’s own (plagiarism). This includes permitting another student to copy homework or a lab write-up;
- Failure to appropriately attribute and reference quotes or paraphrased passages to the original sources;
- Inappropriate use of calculators. Teachers will advise students as to “approved” calculators. Calculators that have built-in notes that cannot be cleared or any external support devices are not permitted;
- Cheating or helping others cheat by using unauthorized materials and devices, sharing answers, and communicating with others (e.g. texting, whispering, passing notes, signalling, and exchanging test papers);
- Writing examinations and quizzes for others;
- Acquiring or using or attempting to acquire and use confidential course and examination materials; or
- Tampering or attempting to tamper with grades and class records.
Plagiarism is defined by the Canadian Oxford Dictionary as the act of passing off the thoughts or writings of another person as one’s own. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Copying and pasting work off a website or another external source.
- Paraphrasing other people’s ideas and claiming them as your own.
- Using another person’s work and submitting it as your own.\
First offence: Student will receive a zero for the assignment and no makeup assignment will be permitted. The student’s parent/s will be contacted and the incident will be recorded.
Second offence: Student will receive a zero for the assignment, no makeup assignment will be permitted, parents will be contacted, permanent record will be updated, and administration will become involved. A school suspension may result.\
Third offence: Student will receive a zero for the assignment, no makeup assignment will be permitted, parents will be contacted, permanent record will be updated, and administration will become involved. Student will be suspended from school and may be permanently removed from the class.
National Sport School
Academic Integrity Agreement 2020-2021
Remember: Universities will have access to your permanent record and are averse to accepting plagiarists!
*A more detailed PowerPoint will be presented and discussed in class, and is also available on D2L.*