Grade 12 Students
The Calgary Board of Education International Certificate is a way of recognizing and valuing international contributions, work, and experiences that students have throughout their CBE journey. This certificate is meant to encourage students to take an interest in and explore the world outside their local boundaries. Three modules are intended to prepare students for an interconnected and globalized world and to meet the CBE End Statement on Citizenship, “Each student will be a responsible citizen by being an informed and involved member in his or her local, national and global communities.”
Three Modules and a Final Project are to be completed
- 125 hours of minimum or 5 credits of Second Language study OR
- Student Exchange or Study Abroad Language experience
- Social Studies
- 3 credits in an Internationalized course (internationally focused courses, internationally focused CTS courses, other courses which could be internationalized)
- Internationalization and personalization of 3 assignments – integrating an international, intercultural or global perspective into an assignment
- The students will have participated in at least 3 months of international experience
- A student may also complete equivalencies by attending international workshops, youth summits or conferences or other venues that offer study and reflection around international issues
Final Summative Project
- The student will combine their experience and learning to reflect on their movement towards being an engaged thinker, ethical citizen (why was this journey important to you? How will you use what you have experienced and learned to shape you now and in the future?)
- This can be done through an E-portfolio, a public presentation, a multimedia project, a written response, or an artistic response
The value of the certificate is in the preparation and study involved. The experiences students have over three years of high school and enrollment in the International certificate will be valuable to future work, study and community engagement.
- Access to international opportunities such as: student exchanges, workshops, conferences, international travel opportunities, internships and volunteer opportunities
- College and university applications
- Job applications
- Scholarship/grant/fellowship applications
- Demonstration of commitment to community engagement
- Networking with students from all over the globe
Who can enroll?
All students interested may enroll in the International Certificate at any time during the school year.
For more information, please contact