Students are provided a time to connect with their connect teacher. Each Friday from 10:00 to 10:40 AM.
Purpose of Connect Time:
- To get to know our students as learners.
- Provides students with the ability to manage their high school experience through credit and course planning and to collaborate with their Connect teacher on individual high school/ post high school goals. While the Success Center is available for more specific information and individualised support and intervention, Connect teachers, classroom teachers and Success Center teachers all work together on helping students navigate and establish a graduation plan that is suited for each student’s best interest after high school
- To evolve digital student learning plans.
- To come together and build relationships and community.
- To work through CALM outcomes with in a wellness framework
Success Time is scheduled Monday to Thursday from 10:15 to 11; 00 AM. This time frame helps flexible learning environments, increased student engagement in learning, improved student achievement and enhanced teacher practice. This is Nelson Mandela High School’s shift in moving forward with high school design.
Purpose of Success Time:
- Teachers from the community help students by providing enrichment and regular interventions for learning – special projects across subjects, extended labs/presentations, and small group instructions.
- During Success Time students have scheduled access to teacher experts for support and enrichment.
- Attendance is mandatory and recorded.
- Students check in with their connect teachers at the beginning of the success time for attendance and head to their choice of activity while teachers may direct student choice for scheduled tutorials or assignment completion.