Digital Citizenship at the Niitsitapi Learning Centre
Our School Digital Citizenship Plan guides our work around the following areas:
1. Student Safety
- Digital citizenship will be modeled and shared in the classrooms.
- The school community will be aware of our digital citizenship strategies and the rules and responsibilities that go with working with technology and online.
- Students will comply with the Acceptable Use of Digital Devices Agreement.
- Students will keep private and use their own username and password.
- Students will be supervised when using technology at all times.
2. Student Learning
- Information and communication technology outcomes will be embedded in appropriate curricula.
- Websites and apps will be teacher approved and shared to students.
- The expectation is that technology is to support learning only.
3. Staff Professional Development:
- Teachers will be aware of the resources related to student online safety and digital citizenship.
- Teachers will have access to a variety of technology and software to support embedding information and communication technology outcomes.
4. Personal Owned Devices:
- Students and staff are aware of their rights and responsibilities with regard to the use of student-owned devices in schools; AR 1062
- Students are encouraged to leave their personal technology at home. If they do bring a personal device to school, it is asked that they leave it in their backpack or other secure location until the end of the school day.
- The school is not responsible for loss, theft or damage of personal property.
- Parents and guardians will be communicated information about the school’s digital citizenship plan via handbooks.
- Technology will be used to support communication home including the school website, classroom blogs, social media and email correspondence.
- Consent to share student information (photos, work samples, etc.) on the technologies listed above will received via signed media release forms upon registration. Additional release forms will be required for third party use.
Technology Available at Niitsitapi Learning Centre
Students will have access to a variety of technology, including but not limited to Smartboards, Ipads, Chromebooks, and laptops. Technology is used to support teaching and learning.