Busing at the Niitsitapi Learning Centre
The Niitsitapi Learning Centre is a unique program in the Calgary Board of Education and has limited charter transportation to congregated stops. It is the parent's responsibility for their children to walk to and from the congregated stop.
Southland Transportation provides busing for the Niitsitapi Learning Centre and all students require a charter transportation contract to ride the school bus. Please contact the office for additional information.
Students are transported to one address only and are asked to be at their stop 10 minutes early. Students under the age of 7 must be accompanied by a parent or caregiver or they will not be dropped off. Any changes to a current address must be communicated to the school office who will request an address update. You should also email Transportation at email@example.com
If the school bus is more than 10 minutes late, their update will be posted on: http://myschoolbusmonitor.ca
If you have other questions regarding the school bus route, please call Southland Transportation 403-726-5963
The school bus is an extension of the school, and therefore is subject to CBE Administrative Regulation 6005 – Student Code of Conduct.
All students will be required to scan their Zpass each time they enter and exit the yellow school bus.
CBE Transportation will be working with our schools, families, and bus drivers to monitor the process as students adjust to the new routine.
Please know that your child will never be refused bus service if they forget their ZPass. Bus drivers will collect names of students who do not have their bus pass and will notify school administration. However, your school may contact you with reminders that students must carry and scan their ZPass daily.
School Bus Expectations & Rules
Students riding on a school bus are responsible for their conduct to the bus driver and the principal of the school. Violation of any of the following rules may lead to the loss of riding privileges, suspension from school or other disciplinary measures under CBE Administrative Regulation 6096 – Transportation Responsibilities and School Bus Rules.
- The driver is in full charge of the bus. Respect the driver and obey directions.
- The driver may assign specific seats to students at any time.
- Students will not extend arms or head out of windows. While the bus is in motion, students will remain seated facing forward, and will not try to get on or off the bus, or move about within the bus.
- Students will not throw anything on the floor or out of the windows of the bus.
- While on the bus, students will conduct themselves in a quiet and courteous manner, showing consideration for the comfort and safety of others.
- Scuffling, fighting, smoking, and the use of obscene language, gestures or behaviour on the bus, are prohibited.
- Students will not distract the bus driver with excessive noise.
- Students causing willful damage to a bus will be held accountable.
- When leaving the bus, students will observe the instructions of the bus driver, and will not cross the road without having a clear view in all directions.
- No student or parent is permitted on the bus without:
- a valid bus pass; or
- the authorization of the bus driver; or
- the authorization of the school principal or their designate.
Students will be asked to have their Zonar (ZPass) bus pass visible on them at all times. Students have a ZPass card to scan when boarding and exiting the bus and each card is linked to their transportation contract.
Busing for Early Development Centre/Preschool Students
For those families whose child(ren) will be taking the bus, the busing company provides regular stop service – meaning they will pick up and drop off at a central location within 1000m of your home. Integrated seats will be utilized on the EDC/Preschool school buses. They are a five-point harness child seat integrated into the school bus and designed for children 22-85 lbs. The Niitsitapi Learning Centre has a bus boundary. Please phone or check our website for a map. Any changes to busing pick up addresses require advance notice to be provided to the school in order to process the new information and adjust route schedules. At the Niitsitapi Learning Centre, the bus will drop off and pick up directly in front of the school and children will be accompanied by staff to and from the bus.
Note: Please discuss with your bus driver the process for informing the transportation company when your child will be absent. You can expect to be contacted by your driver 1-2 days prior to your child’s first pick up day.