First Day of Classes for Kindergarten for the 2021-22 School Year
For our Northern Lights students, Kindergarten staggered entry begins on Wednesday, September 1, 2021, with regular classes starting on Tuesday, September 7, 2021
First Day of Classes for Grades 1 - 5 for the 2020-21 School Year
For our Northern Lights students, the first day of classes is Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2020 and the school office is open to parents on Friday, August 27, 2021.
School Start & End Times
Our bell times for Kindergarten are:
- Mondays to Thursdays: AM Kindergarten: 9:05 - 11:54 AM
- Mondays to Thursdays: PM Kindergarten: 12:46 - 3:35 PM
- Fridays: AM and PM Kindergarten only attend on select dates from 9:05 AM - 1:05 PM (See our Kindergarten Calendar for the specific dates AM and PM classes attend.)
Our bell times for Grades 1 to 5 are:
- Mondays to Thursdays: Grades 1 to 5: 9:05 AM - 3:35 PM (please note the new end time)
- Mondays to Fridays Recess:
- Grades 4 and 5: 10:35 - 10:50 AM
- Grades 1, 2 and 3: 1:55 - 2:10 PM
- Mondays to Thursdays Lunch:
- Grades 1, 2 and 3: 11:45 AM - 12:30 PM
- Grades 4 and 5: 12:35 - 1:20 PM
- Fridays: Grades 1 to 5: 9:05 AM - 1:05 PM (There is no lunch break on Fridays.)
School Supply Lists
All school supplies for students will be purchased through the school. A fee for School Supplies will be charged to parents in the fall. Families need to purchase a reasonably sized back pack that has room for their labelled lunch and snack, as well as library books and mittens, toques, etc. depending on the weather. FOR SAFETY, PLEASE LABEL THE BACKPACK EITHER INSIDE THE ZIPPERED AREA OR WHERE IT SITS AGAINST THE BACK (NOT WHERE VISIBLE TO OTHERS WHEN WORN.) All students MUST also bring labelled indoor shoes from the very first day – preferably comfortable running shoes that are slip on, have springy laces, or have Velcro fasteners.
We are a school that follows the traditional calendar. View our Calendar page for events and dates.
Northern Lights School has a fully supervised lunchroom program for students in Grades 1 to 5. Families must register online through their My CBE Account. Registered students need to bring a reasonably sized nutritious lunch that they can eat in about 20 minutes or so. Although students are allotted 20 minutes to eat in their classrooms and then have a 25-minute whole school outside recess together, they may take additional time (up to the full 45-minutes if necessary) to eat. We have a fully staffed Lunchroom Program that establishes expectations and supervise students for the lunch block.
Welcome emails from classroom teachers will be sent to each family prior to the end of the day on Monday, August 30, 2021. For Grades 1 to 5, this is when students and families will know who their assigned classroom teacher will be. This email will also indicate the dedicated entry door for each child and where students in each grade will be asked to gather for first day entry. For students in Kindergarten, a message will be sent out informing families of where to meet both Kindergarten teachers on the first day. (Kindergarten class lists will not be finalized until after our staggered entry days.)
Please visit our How to Register page for all registration details and forms. Our office staff at Northern Lights School will be available to answer phone calls beginning on Friday, Aug. 27, 2021. If you are registering your child, please email pre-filled registrations forms or transfer request forms signed by the current principal to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to that date and we will contact you to confirm once we are in.
We look forward to a great year ahead! If you have any questions that we haven’t addressed here, please contact Shawna Mason in the school office at 403-817-3444 or email email@example.com.
- The office will be open as of Friday, August 27, 2020 – 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM. ***IMPORTANT: DUE TO COVID RESTRICTIONS, FAMILIES NEEDING TO SEE SOMEONE IN THE OFFICE IN PERSON MUST BOOK AN APPOINTMENT BY CALLING 403-817-3444.***
- Visit the Calgary Board of Education back to school page for more information.