Attendance Line: 403-817-3360 ext. 1.
We ask that parents and guardians call the school attendance line whenever their child will be absent or late.
In your voice message say your child’s full name, grade, homeroom and reason for absence.
Excused vs. Unexcused Absences
CBE guidelines regarding which absences / lates are considered excused and which are considered unexcused are as follows. The school principal has the authority to determine if an absence is excused or unexcused.
- Illness, mental health condition or medical/dental appointment. If these are frequent or excessive you may want to request a medical note to excuse these absences.
- Family emergency, death or illness in the family
- Public Health quarantine
- Religious or cultural observance
- Extreme weather, transportation cancellations
- An absence directly related to homeless status
- Suspension from School
- Expulsion from a school with no permission to re-enroll
- Any absence from school for a day or a portion there of that does not meet the above criteria (please note that this includes family holidays and vacations taken during days schools are operational)
If students arrive late to school they are asked to check in at the office and receive a late slip. Should a student have chronic problems with punctuality, teachers or administrators will look to develop an Attendance Improvement Plan (AIP) with those students. These plans are made in conjunction with the student, parent/guardian, and external agencies with the goal of promoting student success.
Checking Out or In During the Day – If students must leave the school due to illness, appointments or for other reasons, they are asked to check out at the office. For students in Grades 4-6, parents/guardians must pick up at the office and sign out their child in person. For students in Grades 7-9, parents/guardians need to either send a note, phone the office and speak to staff to confirm that they have permission to leave or sign their child out in person.
Extended Absences – If a student will be absent for more than three school days they are asked to complete an Extended Leave of Absence Form. This form is available from the office and should be completed and signed by all the students’ teachers a week before departure. The form should then be signed by an administrator in the office. The student is responsible to complete any missed work during the absence.
Leaving During the Day
Permission to be excused from school can only be granted by the office upon request by a parent/guardian.Under no circumstances shall a student leave the school grounds during school hours (8:25 – 11:58 and 12:45 - 2:55) without first obtaining permission from the office. Students in Grades 4, 5 & 6 are not permitted to leave the school grounds at any time except for field trips, lunchtime (if they are not registered in the lunch program and walk home for lunch) or when they are excused and accompanied by a parent.