Kiss & Drop
What is Kiss & Drop?
Kiss & Drop is a volunteer service that supports the daily drop-off and pick-up of students at Olympic Heights School. The goal of Kiss & Drop is to make morning school drop-off and afternoon pick-up easier for parents, safer for children, and to maintain traffic flow outside the school.
If you are interested in using Kiss & Drop, please familiarize yourself with the procedures below. Kiss & Drop operates best when everyone knows the expectations.
Who can use Kiss & Drop?
- Kiss & Drop is available to all families with students in Grades 1-6 who do not need to be walked to their designated entrance.
- Kindergarten families cannot use Kiss & Drop as students are required to be dropped off and picked up by caregivers in the West Garden.
The Kiss & Drop Zone
- There are two zones in front of the school: the Kiss & Drop Zone and the City Bus Zone.
Vehicles may wait in line in the City Bus Zone, but students must only exit and enter vehicles in the Kiss & Drop Zone.
- Everyone is welcome to use the Kiss & Drop service. However, it operates best when everyone knows the expectations for the service.
Kiss & Drop Procedures
- Always remain in your vehicle when using Kiss & Drop.
- Move with the flow of traffic and pull up as far as you can into the Kiss & Drop zone before allowing your child to enter/exit your vehicle.
- Your child must be able to exit and enter your vehicle from the passenger side only.
- Stay close to the curb as you arrive so that vehicles can pass on your left.
- If there is a line-up:
- Please remain patient in line in the City Bus Zone and do not double park.
- If a City Bus arrives, please clear the City Bus Zone immediately.
- If both the Kiss & Drop and City Bus Zones are full, please continue down Strathcona drive, turn right after the community centre, and loop back around.
- After you’ve dropped off or picked up your child:
- Please do not u-turn at either of our intersections. Our patrols keep track of vehicles who are making unsafe decisions.
- Please do not turn left after dropping off or picking up your child as this can interrupt the flow of traffic. Instead, please continue down Strathcona drive, turn right after the community centre, and loop back around.
Questions about Kiss & Drop?
If you have questions about Kiss and drop or you are interested in giving back to the school and joining the team, please contact the Kiss & Drop coordinator Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parking & Drop-Off Safety Reminders
After consultation with the Calgary Police Service, we are asking for your help with the following:
- Please do not enter the Staff parking lot at any time. Especially, please do not park in the Accessible Parking spots unless you have a permit. Even if there are empty spots in the parking lot, our concern is that children are moving throughout the parking lot, and might not be seen when drivers are turning around or backing up.
- Please keep the ramp leading to the staff parking lot clear, particularly when it is icy. Slippery conditions put both pedestrians and vehicles at risk, right at our front entrance. The ramp to the staff parking lot has no stopping at any time signage, as well as a designated fire lane. There is an official crosswalk from the community centre parking lot to the front door of our building. Traffic by-laws require no stopping or parking for 5 meters on either side of a crosswalk.
- Ensure your children cross the street at designated cross-walks and know how to cross safely when the weather is poor. Please cross only at designated crosswalks, so that we can keep everyone safe.
- Please follow the rules of the road, including the speed limit, and traffic bylaws—especially related to U-turns and crosswalks. Speeding and U-turns compromise the safety of our children. Please abide by the 5 metre rule at crosswalks. There can be no stopping and no parking in this 5 metre zone.
Thanks for your help!