Curriculum & Instruction
An exemplary school facilitates student growth and development to master skills as defined by the Alberta Program of Studies. Staff will use a variety of instructional approaches to optimize student achievement. At Panorama Hills School, instruction will:
- Utilize readily available resources to support the curricular objectives.
- Be based on curricular objectives organized by staff in a concise manner.
- Be student-centered, emphasizing a hands-on Inquiry approach to student learning while providing academic intervention where necessary.
- Infuse technology to a high degree to support student activities.
- Be based on ongoing goals developed collaboratively by students and teachers support the learning, self assessment and teacher assessment.
- Utilize inter-grade, multiage and flexible groupings to promote relationships, build confidence and improve school culture.
Monotonous, repetitious tasks usually only create frustration for children, however when homework is meaningful to a student and serves as an extension to the learning tasks at school it can sometimes be beneficial. We recognize that the time families have together is precious and as such we strive to only ask students to do valuable and worthwhile tasks at home. At Panorama Hills we endeavour to ensure that all homework assigned is limited to CBE guidelines and is of this nature. On most days the only homework students will have might be tasks not completed at school.
Daily reading has been shown to be hugely beneficial to all students. It is very important for building vocabulary, comprehension, decoding skills, spelling, grammar and the use of poetic language both orally, and in writing. In fact, direct correlations have been found between time spent reading in elementary school and success in all subject areas. The more a student reads and is read to by family members, the better they do academically.Reading, especially family reading together, builds stronger bonds and relationships.
CBE daily homework suggestions for elementary students (Administrative Regulation 3066 | Homework):
- Grades 1-3: 5-10 minutes
- Grades 4-6: 20 minutes