Digital Citizenship & Admirable Use Policy
All members of our school community are expected to be digital citizens who demonstrate respect, responsible behavior and overall good character when using technology and/or engaging in online activities. The use of technology is an integral part of teaching and learning at our school. Teachers and students use digital technologies to access information, communicate ideas, and demonstrate fundamental understandings.
Students may use their own laptop or tablet, at their teacher’s discretion, to personalize their learning in the classroom, interfacing through CBE Connect Wireless. The use of personal devices by students with the guidance of parents and teachers will assist in addressing individual student needs for learning.
All students are expected to follow school guidelines for Acceptable use of Electronic Devices and Networked Information Resources (AR 1062) with both school-owned and student-owned devices.
Peter Lougheed School and its staff are NOT responsible for lost/stolen or damaged personal devices.
The following activities are inappropriate for students:
- Use of electronic/digital devices (cell phones, computers, cameras, etc.) in gym change rooms or washrooms at any time.
- Sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures/images
- Using obscene language, harassing, insulting or attacking others
- Any online behaviour that negatively impacts the school environment
- Intentionally damaging computer equipment/school technology, the network or other people’s digital work
- Trespassing into other people’s folders, work, or files
- Intentionally using technology on non-teacher-approved activities
- Using electronic media for plagiarizing
- Modifying backgrounds and/or relocating, deleting or adding applications on shared school technology (iPads, tablets, Chromebooks)
- Breaching copyright law and/or failing to follow fair dealing guidelines - See relevant sections of Copyright Matters!
- Sharing or distributing digital recordings, audio or visual via the Internet or through social networking sites, without written permission from the content creators
- Using cell phones to make calls, text, engage in social media activities, play games etc, during instructional times (parents who wish to communicate with their children during class time should go through the office, as texting and phone calls are not permitted during instructional time).
If a student fails to abide by Peter Lougheed’s Acceptable Use Policy, parents/guardians will be notified and the student may receive one or all of the following disciplinary actions:
- Confiscation of Personal Electronic Device
- Immediate and possible revocation of computer privileges (including, but not limited to, student email, D2L, Google Drive, wireless access and use of school technology)
- Charged to repair or replace damaged equipment