Indoor Running Shoes
In order to keep our school clean, all students are expected to remove their wet and dirty outdoor footwear as they enter the building. We ask that all children have indoor running shoes that are either slip on, velcro, or lace up (if they are able to tie them themselves). These indoor running shoes ensure students are in appropriate footwear for Phys. Ed. activities, as well as when fire drills or evacuations occur. Many drills are scheduled without warning. Therefore, students are expected to wear indoor footwear at all times. Please also clearly label all footwear to minimize loss.
Dressing for the Weather
It is important children are dressed for the weather, whether it be snowy, cold, sunny, or wet. Please have your student appropriately dressed for changing weather conditions so they are prepared to spend recess, lunch recess, and outdoor learning times outdoors.
Consistent with CBE guidelines, we begin to monitor the local weather conditions on our schoolyard very carefully when temperatures are nearing -20°C. On these days, we may:
1. Shorten the length of time students are outdoors, particularly over the lunch period.
2. Make announcements to remind students about wearing appropriate winter wear.
3. Monitor as students are getting ready to go outside to ensure that they are wearing appropriate clothing for the weather.
In the event that temperatures drop below -20°C or rain is quite heavy, we will shorten, modify or cancel outdoor recesses and walking / outdoor field trips. When recesses are modified, students may be out for a shortened amount of time and will have access to an entrance off of the courtyard to come in and warm up if needed.
When walking / outdoor field trips are modified, students will go a shorter distance, stay out for less time, or stay closer to available structures on field trip sites and be monitored and asked to communicate when they are cold.
Caring for your children is a top priority for our staff.
Tips to Keep Kids Safe in Cold Weather
As indicated above, on most cold winter days students will continue to have regularly scheduled outdoor time at school. Students will be safe and have fun outdoors if they:
1. Dress in layers, with a wind resistant outer layer.
2. Wear snow pants, a hat and/or a hood.
3. Have waterproof mittens or insulated gloves (thin fabric gloves are not warm enough and soak through easily).
4. Have something to cover their face, such as a scarf, neck tube or face mask.
5. Wear warm and waterproof footwear.
6. Have extra socks in their backpack in case they get wet.
*In case of an unplanned fire alarm during very cold weather, students are expected to wear shoes when indoors at all times. We also recommend wearing winter clothing (pants/sweaters rather than leggings/shorts/shirts/short sleeved shirts) or keeping a long-sleeved hoodie/sweatshirt/sweater nearby.