Personal Computing Devices at School
Students in the 21st century have access to a wider variety of electronic communication and entertainment devices than ever before. Prince of Wales permits students to bring items such as cellular phones, and other personal computing devices to school with some provisions. The school will not assume responsibility for lost, damaged or stolen property. Cell phones are an increasingly popular accessory for students and a comfort for parents. Safety and privacy concerns require that cell phones be turned off during school hours.
The initial decision to allow a student to bring these devices to school rest with the parent and the school will assume the parents have granted permission to students who have devices at school.
Web 2.0 Terms and Conditions
- Students are expected to act safely by keeping personal information out of their posts. Students agree not to post or give out their last name, password, username, email address, home address, school name, city or other information that could help someone locate or contact them in person.
- Students agree not to share their username or password with anyone besides their teachers and parents. Students agree to never log in as another student.
- Students are expected to treat Web 2.0 spaces as classroom spaces. Speech that is inappropriate for class is not appropriate for your Web 2.0 space.
- Web 2.0 spaces are a forum for student expression. However, they are first and foremost a tool for learning, and may sometimes be constrained by the various requirements and rules of classroom teachers. Students are welcome to post on any school-appropriate subject.
- Web 2.0 spaces are to be a vehicle for sharing student work with real audiences. Most visitors will leave respectful, helpful messages. If students receive a comment that makes them feel uncomfortable or is not respectful, a teacher should be told right away.
- Students should not download or install any software without permission and not click on ads or competitions.
- Students who do not abide by these terms and conditions may lose their opportunity to take part in any further computer activities.
As per the information above, your child may be registered to use the applications outlined in this letter. They may or may not use them throughout the year, however we wanted to communicate clearly that access is available to them. Your child’s classroom teacher can provide information on which tools they are using and when.
If you have any questions regarding any of these applications and their use in your child’s classroom please contact your child’s teacher, Mrs. Bezugley or Mr. Veronese at 403-777-6880.