Digital Technology for Learning
The use of technology is an integral part of learning at Queen Elizabeth School, as required by Alberta Education’s Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Program of Studies. Students are encouraged to use our network and digital learning tools such as tablets, computers, online applications, and other digital resources to collaborate with others to contribute to the learning environment in meaningful, positive ways. Prior to using technology in the school, learning expectations are communicated to students and parents/guardians. By utilizing the school’s digital resources and/or the network, students agree to the Digital Citizenship guidelines about technology use in the school. For more information about this, follow the link under Digital Citizenship at the CBE (see below).
Queen Elizabeth School's Admirable Use Policy
At Queen Elizabeth School we will ensure the safety of all students by following the three principles of respect when working with educational technology. This will ensure that we are using digital information and technology resources in a responsible way:
1. Respect Yourself
- Keep your CBE account password and other personal information private.
- Tell your teacher if something on an electronic device makes you feel uncomfortable or is inappropriate.
- Caring for a personally owned device is the responsibility of the owner.
- Use your time wisely when using technology during learning time.
2. Respect Others
- Use appropriate language and communicate respectfully at all times.
- Respect the property and the creative work of others.
- Respect the rights of other people. Do not record or post anything about them.
- Protect and respect the personal information of others.
3. Respect this Place
- Leave all school equipment so that it is ready to be used by others.
- Use the school’s technology and online learning environments to support learning and do so in consultation with your teacher.
- Report any problems with technology equipment as soon as you see them.
Personally Owned Devices
COVID-19 Update: Students will be sharing school devices only within their classroom cohort with appropriate cleaning protocols and hand hygiene in place. School technology will be deployed to each of our cohort classrooms to ensure access. Due to increased cleaning/sharing protocols, teachers may put out a request for students who have signed permission to bring their own device from home for certain learning activities.
The CBE My Devices Network enables students to access wireless Internet on students’ Personally Owned Devices that they have brought to school with their parent’s permission. It is not a requirement or expectation that students bring Personally Owned Devices. However, should you wish your child to use their Personally Owned Device at school to support learning, please be aware of the following:
- Only those students whose families have reviewed, accepted and returned our QES Admirable Use Policy will be permitted to use a Personally Owned Device at school.
- Personally Owned Devices are to be used only under the direct guidance and supervision of the teacher during teacher approved learning activities. Using a device outside of these times, at recess and/or lunch is not permitted.
- Students are to access the CBE My Devices Network only. Usage of personal data plans is not permitted.
- Students are expected to follow the same Admirable Use Policy when accessing this network.
- The device is the sole responsibility of the student who owns it. The school does not provide tech support nor does the school accept any responsibility for loss, theft or damage of any student's Personally Owned Devices.
For more information about using Personally Owned Devices on the CBE network, visit the CBE's webpage on Bringing Your Own Device to school.
Procedure for Policy Violation
Depending on the severity of inappropriate use, consequences will be determined by school teachers and the administrative team. Parents/Guardians will be notified. This Admirable Use Policy complements Calgary Board of Education Administrative Regulation 1062 -‐ Acceptable Use of Electronic Information Resources.