Attendance Line: 403-777-6380 ext. 1
To report absences from school, parents or guardians should:
- Call the school at 777-6380 press 1 at the voice prompt, to get the Attendance Line extension or email the school at firstname.lastname@example.org, spell the family name of the student, provide the student’s grade, and date and reason for the absence
- On occasion it is necessary to excuse a student from school to attend personal appointments or to attend to family emergencies. Please send a note with the student enabling the student to get dismissed from their class. Prior to leaving the school, students are expected to go to the office and sign out with their note. Parents/guardians are responsible to sign their child out in person, contact the school by phone or provide a written note prior to the school releasing the student from school.
Absences / Late Policy
Students are expected to attend all classes. Excused absences are: sick, religious holiday, suspension or expulsion. Students will arrive to class on time and remain in classes until dismissed at the bell. Attendance is required by Alberta’s School Act, it is essential for the successful completion of courses. The most common cause of academic failure is absence.
All absences must be cleared by a parent or legal guardian through the main office attendance line. Failure to do so will result in the implementation of the following:
Teachers will phone home to notify parents/guardians of attendance concerns (three or more classes). Teachers may phone home more often if required.
After parents have been notified of unexcused absences, students may be expected to make up missed class time by serving a detention with the teacher of the missed class.
Students may be referred to an administrator once they have accumulated five (5) unexcused absences in a particular class. Disciplinary options may include, but are not limited to:
- School community service
- Further detention time
- In-school suspension
- Removal from extra-curricular activities
- Placement on an Attendance Improvement Plan
- Withdrawal to an alternative school environment
Note: As with all policies, the administration of the school will take into account the individual issues and concerns of students and families when considering action. There are times when Administration reserves the right to exercise professional judgment.
The Late Policy will be a parallel process. Students are expected to be in class on time.
Early / Extended Leaves
On occasion, students are absent from school for extended periods of time to attend specific events or activities out of school, or are required to leave the school prior to the end of a semester or school year. Parents/guardians who choose to remove their child from school for these purposes must:
- Complete an “Extended Absence Notice” available from the school office.
- Submit the completed “Extended Absence Notice” to the Principal or designate for final signature.
- Be aware the final examinations policy is in effect if the early/extended leave includes examination periods at the end of semester one or two