Progressive Student Discipline
The purpose of the Calgary Board of Education’s Administrative Regulation 6005 - Student Code of Conduct is as follows:
- To support the creation of welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environments for students that respect diversity and foster a sense of belonging for all members of our school community.
- To create the conditions to help students engage in their learning.
- To identify key responsibilities and accountabilities for CBE students.
- To outline the expectations for responses to student behavior.
- To provide guidelines and expectations supporting an effective school-wide approach to progressive school discipline.
Progressive Student Discipline means a whole school approach that utilizes a continuum of intervention, supports, and consequences to address inappropriate and unacceptable student behavior and builds upon strategies that promote positive behaviours contributing to a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environment.
The following principles apply:
- CBE guidelines are in compliance with requirements from Alberta Education.
- CBE is committed to providing students and staff with welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environments that foster a sense of belonging and respect diversity.
- Schools are expected to support personal development, character and citizenship by managing discipline through a progression of proactive, preventative, and restorative strategies.
- Responses to student behaviour include a consistent, universal school-wide approach, based on fair and predictable responses to negative behaviours.
- Progressive student discipline strategies focus on support and corrective actions that provide opportunities to learn while focusing on improving behaviour.
- Students and staff are expected to model and reinforce socially responsible behaviours.
- Students and staff shall be treated fairly and with dignity.